Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing paint from carbon fibre

V7 SLR

So, is it possible? And how?

When I spec'd V7 I decided I liked the look of a blue Caterham I'd seen at Le Mans the previous year, and went for blue painted wheel centres to compliment the body colour. Once I'd decided this I believed that it would only look best if front & rear wheelarches and the nose cone were painted to match, but now that I've a pair of unpainted cf front wheel arches and am (hopefully) going to invest in a set of unpainted rears, I wondered whether it would be possible to remove the paint from the nose and bring back that lovely cf weave.

Any advice?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I know you can "tidy up" the surface of bare cf with a light T-cut, but I was hoping that there would be a chemical which would remove the paint without damaging the cf or requiring the need for any abrasive action.

☹️

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Thinners (xylene) might well remove the worst of the paint, follow this up with a buffing with rubbing compound/T-Cut, it'll be a messy business.. do make sure the CF dries properly since it may absorb the thinners, make sure there is no reaction twixt the CF and the thinners first...

Oily

P.S. shims on the way