Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox Filler Plug

John W

For my Type 9 box I have a cut down Allen key that is enough to fit into the plug and be swung around clear of the chassis. To fill/top up - no it is a right pain. The best way I have is to get a length of hose that will fit the oil container and then you can hold the container up a comfortable distance with the hose into the hole.

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running *wink*

Mine has a square plug drive and with the long passenger footwell very little room to get anything in.

I squared off a big bolt stub and use a ring spanner on it once it's popped in.

I 2nd Phil's comment about the filler hose.

Now I have a short passenger footwell (and a dry sump tank) access is much easier. You can see the filler / level plug from the engine bay...

Steve

My racing pics here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

John

if it's a 6 speed the only way I found to do it was to cut the end off a 10mm Allen key, about 25mm IIRC and put this in the plug then do/undo with a 10mm socket or spanner. If you don't have an access hole in the tunnel then filling is a messy business! Buy or find some sort of bottle that you can attach some 1/2 tubing to (securely or it gets really messy!), tubing needs to be long enough to feed down in front of Scuttle and into filler hole (about 1 metre)

Put a tray or loads of newspaper under the gearbox

Mark

Or If you cant get the filling plug undone just take off the top cover and have a visual check to see weather the oil level is up to the level of the filling hole.

Just make sure that you dont knock any crap into the box as you remove the top cover.

Nick

If you take the top cover off have a threaded boss welded in the front corner of the lid before replacement. Fill the box to the correct level and then insert a dipstick through the boss and mark to that level. Checking and filling will be a lot easier next time...