Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sissors lifts

Garth

*cool*Rattie very kindly showed me his build this last weekend - it was very impressive and they have got a fantastic setup *thumbup*.

He is using a sissors lift and I think it is a real plus. I have spent far to long on the net trying to find one for hire or a second hand one to buy! Any ideas would be welcome!

You can see it here.

There appear to be one or two variations of it on the market, but they seem hard to find ☹️?

atlast

• Area Representative

£375 . . . electric/manual mini tiliting lift as posted by PeteF in TechTalk

If you go to the link, you have to scroll down the page to get to the content for some reason.

Picturing them working is always difficult from pictures but there's a Youtube clip showing a Se7en-esque car on the ramp being tilted forwards and backwards by the mechanic.

Bulk Buy anyone? 😬

Giles

Beryl the Peril (HPC)

Edited by - gileshudson on 22 Jan 2010 13:53:23

BB - LOL *arrowup*

If you have pics of the ramp in the link actually lifting the 7 then you may be in for a shout of a BB - Norman had a BB going for these very lifts IIRC - If it was drive the Car on position arms and lift I think there may be a few people up for one *thumbup*

Edited by - Billyboy on 22 Jan 2010 11:46:08

Hi guys,

Automotech is the place I got mine from, via ebay. The chaps there were good to deal with, I even arranged that the delivery driver would give me a bell before turning up so I could get home. Here's a pic of mine with the 2/3 built car on it. The next image in the set shows the timber frame I knocked up to actually support the chassis.

Billyboy, as you can see I gave up on the BB as the kit delivery date approached.

Might be worth ringing the chaps at Automotech and seeing if could could do any discount.

If anybody does get one, I can supply the dimensions of my sled, which fits a low floor SV perfectly.

Martyn

R300GRR SV build in progress

With the Clarke engine hoist and load leveller I have, the clearance on the lift legs was pretty critical, but if the sled was shifted forwards slightly it would have been easier. Hindsight and all that!

As for access to gearbox it was fine. You have to wiggle over the crossbar between the front legs, but that's easy enough. The diff was no worries at all because the sled stops at the back edge of the lowered floor. I feel more pictures coming on...

Martyn

It is a bit expensive I agree ☹️..but it is available in the UK. See the link in my first post and also Rattie's comments. I think Caterham should invest in a few and then hire them out to people doing self builds! I am seriously considering buying one to help make the build easier and spare my back! Would still love to try and find a second hand one!

atlast

A nice idea but I don't think it'd work since we're going to be working on our builds together. As it happens I'm more interested in it after the build for servicing, oil changes, fettling under the car etc - there were lots of little jobs I put of doing on the previous car because of the difficulty of access..

Being able to drive the car over the lift and then raise it up to chest height sounds very attractive. Martyn are you easily able to line up your car over the sled to lift it when needed?

Garth, if one of your replies was to me I think you might have missed the fact that I posted a web link to a youtube video of a different type of lift (which is what I was referring to when I said expensive and not available in the uk).

• Area Representative

Guys,

I contacted Colin at CJ Autos in Heywood (Lancs) after what Billyboy said about the above posted Youtube clip of the £375 Mini Tilting Lift not making it clear if it was as simple as drive on, lift and lock.

I mentioned that we might be able to get a Caterham (ideally S3 and SV and with lowered floors) to visit his outfit if it meant he'd film the lifting etc sequence from start to finish to prove that it was that easy. I also intimated that if it did work, and people wanted them, that we'd be looking for a deal less than the £375 plus VAT plus Delivery.

Colin has replied:

"Hi Giles. Yes, that would be great to get a Caterham over to us to take a video of the mini tilting lift in action from start to finish. Just give me an email when you can arrange and I will sort it out. Thanks again, Colin Simpson 01706 367649 c.j.autos@easynet.co.uk "

Logistically (with work) and geographically, it's going to be hard for me to run with this any further, but if it might deliver what it hints at, then if Lancs & District (LADS) fancied picking this up and progressing it . . . *confused*

Giles

Beryl the Peril (HPC)

Edited by - gileshudson on 24 Jan 2010 21:27:45

Martyn are you easily able to line up your car over the sled to lift it when needed?

Well, I'll let you know when we've finished the car. 😬 I would imagine that it'll take some fiddling to get the alignment spot on and I'm intending to lay down two rows of thin concrete blocks either side of the lift so that the tyres run on those, enabling either the seven or the mx5 to clear the lift.

Martyn