Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Interchangable aeroscreen sighted

Nick W

Morning all

Picked up my new R400 this w/e 😬 *thumbup*. I spec'd an interchangable aeroscreen and following a few threads on the subject, thought I'd give a bit of feedback.

I'd been trying to visualise how the new fitment would work but, in true Caterham style, it is the same as for a normal screen. However, two holes have been drilled thru' the interior cockpit skin, plugged by stoppers, so that you can get to the rear nuts securing the windscreen support. Having had to change the windscreen on my last Seven, this should be standard!

This means you can unscrew the whole windscreen assembly, disconnect the screen heating element and pull off the wipers. The aeroscreen (carbon on R400) then mounts onto the existing holes and is centred on the poppers for the tonneau in the middle of the scuttle. As the force will be horizontal on these poppers, I presume they will do the job. Mirrors (centre and sides) come with the aeroscreen.

If you want to reattach the windscreen, then more sealing rubber around the bottom screen/ scuttle interface will be needed. When I change I think I will not trim the rubber- just tuck it in- so that it can be reused.

And that's all there is to it! So much for some fancy new fitment.

Anyway- car is wonderful. Can see it's going to be rather quick. Running in (480 miles completed) is quite frustrating, but it gives you the chance to get to know it before nailing it to the redline 😬.

Finished the weekend slightly deaf (forgot my earplugs), damp (roofs are for MG-Fs) and with singed jeans (that'll be the exhaust back where it rightfully belongs then). The joys of Sevening rediscovered.

Cheers

Nick

NICK=== Mirrors (centre and sides) come with the aeroscreen.

i cant see caterham giving the mirrors with the screen as standard or do they, are they carbon on the R400 if they do, did you also spec wether gear. i suppose they will if you dont spec'd full screen

fred *eek*

Fred

Mirrors came with the screen and are carbon on the R400. However, when I ordered Caterham hadn't decided on its full pricing policy yet, so it might have decided to charge for them in retrospect.

I ordered weather gear- I don't see any point in a windscreen without it- otherwise you may just as well go for an aeroscreen.

Nick

Thanks Graham!

It is Monte Carlo Blue. I think it was originally a Honda colour, but Caterham used it for their cars at the Motor Show c4 years ago. Are you thinking of buying or upgrading?

Steve- good job! It's going to provide some banzai shots 😬.