Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removeable Scuttle - bolt on option

jonboylaw

Has anyone made their scuttle "removable" by using bighead bolts (or what ever they are called) instead of a couple of Rivets?

If so, how/where did you fix them and what size domehead bolt?

Any diagrams?

Cheers.

Jonathan

Normalisdull

-----------------------------------

This rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Confused. I thought all Seven scuttles were removable once the side mounting nuts and U channel plus the bolts either side of the steering column were removed (subject to the firewall not having been sealed with silicone/mastic).

I can remove mine in about 15 minutes from walking into the garage.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care

There is usually a large head rivet at the bottom rear edge of the scuttle, by the sills, or at least there was on my car when I took it appart.

Jonathan

Normalisdull

I drilled out all those rivets along the u-channel edge, and replaced them with rivnuts (fancy!), then used M5 (I think) pozi-head bolts. The firewall stays in place, but the top section comes off giving access to all those lovely wires.

Les/Tony,

Can you please send me a photo?

The Rivet I am on about can just be seen in this photo here.

It is right by the door sill at the rear of the scuttle.. I want to replace this with a bolt so I do not have to drill the rivet out if I swap scuttles from Aero to Windcreen..

Jonathan

Normalisdull

• Leadership Team

Hi Jonathan

I did exactly the same on ny 91 XFlow a few years ago. The conversion to rivnuts makes a great difference when you want to do work under the scuttle and it is something I am very glad I did.

I believe the the "large" rivets that you are talking about on either side do not exist on the more recent chassis. I drilled this out and fitted rivnuts and then large (tarty anodised!) wide, flat head bolts (I'm sure there is a proper name for them) which I got from the Demon Tweeks catalogue. I'll admit that I was worried at the size of hole that it took in the chassis (through a braze where three chassis members meet) in case it weakened the chassis. However, I ran the car like that for about three years of sprints and trackdays without any problem. I then had the car stripped right back by Arch and the holes welded up as the newer type bodywork does without any rivets at this point.

All the best - Michael.

• 2 months later...