Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fitting a new boot cover

Stef

Anyone got any tips for fitting a new boot cover, fitiing poppers etc?

I've got a new one from caterham for my 1990 de dion, the original boot cover has the suspension poking through the boot cover but caterham tell me they dont supply that any more and people just fit the cover over top of the suspension. is this right?

Also, it looks like I've got to drill through the metal bar and material to attach behind the rear seats, how do I stop the material tearing or turning with the seat belt bolts?

any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Steff

Hi Steff,

I can't really help on the popper positioning, but I am sure someone will advise you on that.

Yes you will have to put a hole in it for the belt eyes to go through, but once these are tightened down they will pinch the vinyl against the metal and the eyelet so will not tear/split.

Jonathan

Normalisdull

-----------------------------------

This rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

• Area Representative

Steff

You need a punch to fit the poppers - I have one if you need to borrow.

LADS top tip - put masking tape on the cover where poppers are needed and push onto popper to leave mark on tape showing where female popper is needed - hope you understand.

Caterham recommend removing bar if you have full harness belts as bar is bearly wide enough for seat belt bolts. I can let you have a look at the build manual if you don't have one. Use of plain washers will help stop twisting of cover.

Older boot covers for your suspension had eyelets for shockers to poke through. You may be able to retro fit these - I think you'll get some at a camping shop - Castlecroft Camping in Radcliffe, or Winfields Haslingden.

Finally, bearing in mind the weather, suggest you warm the cover up before fitting otherwise you may find it is not tight enough when the better weather arrives.

Give me a ring if you need a hand.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

FWIW my view is to not remove the bar - contrary to Caterham advice. This is because in my view you get a neater finished appearance as the bar acts as a stiffener to hold the front edge of the cover in position.

To form the clearance holes for the harness bolts I did the following:

1)trial fitted the cover in place with a couple of the self tappers for the popper bases

2) Marked the approx centre of the four harnes bolt holes

3) Removed cover and drilled undersize holes

4) Refixed the cover in place

5) Using a small circular file working down into the threaded boss on the crossmember carefully opened up each hole in turn, just sufficient to take the bolt. As the bar is aluminium and with care you will not damage the threads in the boss. Waste cover fabric can be cut away as the hole is enlarged.

6) As I did each hole I fitted the bolt to provide extra clamping to avoid misalignment of the subsequent holes

7) Result is a nice neat finish of the boot cover.

Angus

• 2 months later...

I ordered a replacement boot cover for my Ford LA at Redline about 2 years ago and this one came with the holes and eyelits for the turrets.

To my knowledge you are better to talk to Redline when you' re looking for specific parts for older cars.

Jack Flash