Click here if you are having website access problems ×

? Head gasket? Porous head

dai

Please can I have some advice re the brown discolouration in my expansion tank?

Engine 2.0 V x.

Flushed coolant but brown discolouration has returned

No mayonnaise around catch tank or filler cap

Do I need to change the head gasket?

Do I need to have the head checked for porosity?

Who could check the fluid for combustion products I live close to Stafford?Would it be safe to use the ostrich method and just ignore it everything seems to be running fine?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers Dai

Before you go worrying about head porosity, I have this, from the WSCC boardroom........

There is an oil gallery plug which protrudes into the cooling sytem by the water pump (you have to remove the pump to view it). Some people wrongly assume the head is porous if they have already checked / replaced the head gasket. It is often the case that this simple plug is leaking oil into the coolant. It is easily rectified by removing it and fitting a new one that is already coated in special sealant. It should be fairly obvious if it is leaking as when you view it there should be signs of oil emulsion in this area.

Thanks very much for the advice everyone, fortunately following a further flush the brown colour has not returned I shall assume there are no problems and that it was a variant of normal.

Alex I am now the proud owner of an alloy rad but it was courtesy of my enforced upgrade,

thanks for your kind offer Roger

see you soon Dai