Click here if you are having website access problems ×

almost technical rear view mirrors THX all

tbird

Taking CSR to europe for the first time soon, wondering what all you experienced European drivers do about rear view mirrors, at moment have normal CC fitted flat sidescreen mirrors, here don't find any vibration problems but FOV for LHS mirror very limited,

over to POBC what do you recommend

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 18 Jan 2010 23:55:54

Edited by - tbird on 20 Jan 2010 16:12:26

• Area Representative

🤔 🤔 🤔

Not sure what you are asking. Normal mirrors are quite legal and no problem in Europe. Only need to worry about headlights for driving on "wrong" side of road and make sure you take appropriate spare bulbs, warning triangles,first aid kit etc.

See AA What to take abroad

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Normal mirrors are good, but I once manged to miss seeing a green VW golf estate on a motorway somewhere in Austria as I pulled out to overtake - didn't hear it, didn't see it against the forest hidden behind the roll bar stay, didn't see it in the normal mirror.

So I fitted a Summit internal blind spot mirror on a stalk - the stalk heated and reshaped to allow it to angle down more due to the slope of the Caterham screen compared to a tin-top. Mirror now shows an excellent view on the road alongside and behind on the passenger side. Very useful on last years jaunt into the Alps, especially with hood bag strapped on and a set of whimps.

Bri

That's the one. It is self-adhesive - the bottom of the two part stalk (that you can't see in the piccie) sticks to the inside of the screen, under the mirror on the offside.

I only used the base part - a quick warm with a blow torch (not too much . . ), a tweek with pliers, hold and shove under a running tap. and it was the perfect angle for the mirror to dangle below the mount on the nearside.

I guess if they did a LHD version, it would be perfect. Large enough to see things in, small enough not to annoy passenger too much . . . and depending on passenger/clothing, it's a useful thing . . 😬

Bri

Bricol Hi,

cheers, will order one and should all become clear, in more ways than one, re passenger, travelling with SWMBO so crafty peeks not req, however useful to know for future passenger rides 😬

Dont suppose you have any pictures lurking (mirror not passengers 😬 showing mirror

Ta

Tim

Just adjust the mirror to give you a better/wider field of vision on the passenger side, and don't forget to use the over the shoulder look (similar to the life saver on a motorcycle) and you will be fine with standard mirrors.

I personally use SPA mirrors on the sidescreens, Nifty's bits or the Caterham SVA mirrors depending on what I am going to do.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

I used to think that too. Loads of miles on the wrong side of the road. Lots of years in the UK in the integrale sat on the wrong side - and I prefer it in a tin top - more view. And was fine in the caterham. Until I missed that Golf. Just found I wasn't high enough to get a good enough view over hood bag.

I found the newly fitted lowered floor made the problem worse. What's it's like for those who strap bags to the roll bar braces, I hate to think.

Plus I get to look at the passenger . . . strapped in . . in the sunshine . . . *cool*

Bri

(was quite so good in a cold Uk with Richard, a work collegue, in the passenger seat . . .)