Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Clunk under braking from A-Frame/De-Dion

Howard Dawson

I noticed a clunk under braking which I traced to a loose bolt which holds the rear of the A-Frame to the De-Dion tube. I have tightened it up and the problem has gone away. I have three questions:

1. I have tightened it up quite tight. Could I overtighten it?

2. Could the bush in the De-Dion frame have worn oval and need replacing?

3. Is this a common problem?

The car has done 3,000 miles.

Thanks

I seem to remember that it should be 60lbft - i'm sure that is classed as "pretty tight" - and if its the same bolt I'm thinking of it should have little wierd nylon washers either side of the ear. In addition, if you're nervous then just buy a new nyloc nut; in my experience it is generally the nut that takes a beating and the bolt lives ok!

I am almost sure I remember some guys talking about this bush as a wear point, Howard. In fact, I think I even remember one of them mentioning mileages as low as yours. Could be wrong though; I think it was in a thread about "powerflex" bushes. Try a search on "powerflex" and see if it gets you anywhere.

My 1600xf has not manged to go more than 3000 road miles without wearing out its A frame bushes. Currant milage 60,000 so i guess its had a lot of replacements.These realy are very easy to replace, just remove the bolt pull the A frame down slightly. Pull out the old bushes and refit new (sometimes a tiny bit of washing up liquid will help them slip home)It would be a good idea to replace the bolt if you can, as its a low grade item that could strech and eventualy brake, but unlikely.. sorry did,nt mean to imply that they do , its just good practise to replace if poss. *smile*