Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help!! No oil pressure on newly built xflow!

ashaughnessy

I'm getting very nervous! I'm just trying to start my newly built crossflow for the first time. I'm cranking it without the plugs in to built oil pressure but not getting any pressure showing on the gauge. I'm fairly sure the oil filter was primed before it was fitted. After cranking for a while, I took the filter off to make sure. It had some in but wasn't full. I refilled it but still couldn't get pressure.

I don't know how long I should crank it for before getting oil pressure and I don't want to crank it for too long. What should I expect? Should I keep cranking and wait?

It was fitted with a brand new high capacity/high pressure oil pump, if that is relevant.

I think the gauge is working because I can see if come slightly up off its stop when the ignition is turned on. Is there any way I can check the pressure sender to make sure it's working?

Any ideas gratefully received. I don't want to break my brand new engine.

Anthony

If you have primed the pump and the filter is full then its only a matter of time. I seem to recall that mine took some time before we had pressure. Remember that once you have it fired up that the most important thing is to bed in the cam. The advice that I ws given by my engine builder was to run it at 2500 rpm for 30 mins. Cant comment on the guage as mine is mechanical and easy to establish if its working.

Had a similar problem on my N/A Cossie after it's head re-build earlier this year. I ended up squirting oil into the pressure sender hole itself, until it came dribbling out. It took a while.............

Re-fitted sender, cranked, and got pressure almost straight away. It's been fine ever since.

Edited by - Blatman on 11 Aug 2002 19:54:48

Well, thanks to good advice from Roger King and John Edgington, I now have oil pressure! I took off the side cover plate from the oil pump to expose the rotor and squirted lots of oil in using a small squirty can and that did the trick.

Unfortunately, now I've put the plugs back in to start it in earnest, it won't start!

Can someone confirm that cylinder number 1 is the one at the front of the car? The builder has written the numbers on the top of the distributor cap and I want to make sure I haven't got the leads back to front.

Anthony

I'm glad you've got oil pressure, I remember sweating it out several times myself. No 1 cylinder is at the front, but the other thing to check is which way the rotor arm points when No 1 is ready to fire. The XFlow distributor can be installed so that the timing is anywhere. I assume you have checked for sparks/fuel?

98,000 miles so far

With No. 1 piston (the front of the engine) at TDC on the compression stroke, the rotor arm should be pointing in the vicinity of No 1 plug lead on the distributor cap. The plug leads should then be in the firing order of 1-2-4-3 going anti-clockwise round the cap.

Are you definitely getting a spark and, obvious I know, but is there fuel in the carbs.? i.e. is the pump working?

Good luck with it.

Brent

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 13 Aug 2002 13:33:07

To double check distributor no 1 position.

1. Remove all plugs.

2. Turn engine by hand/spanner whilst feeling for compression on no.1 cylinder (use finger end!).

3. As the pressure at no. 1 plug stops pushing your finger that is approx TDC for no.1.

4. No. 1 on the distributor is whichever the rotor arm points to.

Sorry if this is granny sucking eggs etc!

You also wouldn't be the first to flatten a battery cranking an engine having forgotten to fit the rotor arm! It's worth checking for sparks.

Edited by - Mr Locust on 14 Aug 2002 12:17:04