Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre change

Gary Stone

Thinking of changing my tyres. I have a 2002 Superlight R running the Barnby wheels with 175/55/13 front & 205/55/13 rear CR500's at mo. So for cost as well as wondering if I should try something else for a change. Does any one know how the change from 55 to 60 profile will change things? My choice seems to be Toyo 888"s Yokohama 021R's or Yokohama 048R's.

Cheers

Gary

Superlight R'66 GMS 'Flying Very Low'...

Tom - very true.

Gary - If you are going to do that, you may as well sell me those MBs as you won't feel the benefit with the "Three Fat Ladies" - (888) 😳 *tongue* *tongue* 😬

Have you considered the new Avon ZZRs in Caterham sizes?

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

• Support Team

For purely road use I think that the Avon CR500 is the best tyre you can run on a Caterham.

1. It is significantly lighter than any of the competition and that translates to a good ride quality. You don't get any tramlining with them.

2. It has ample dry grip and is one of the best in the wet - you can get better dry grip but this is only really relevant on track.

3. It wears well under road use - it will last longer than R888/A048R/etc.

The only downside is cost but, as you should get at least a year out of a set (unless you are doing intergalactic mileage), it's not a massive cost. In the past I have run CR500s for road and track and they have lasted well - and that is with 226 bhp.

Regarding use of trackday tyres (like the ZZR) in the wet, as long as you drive to the conditions they are fine. I have driven thousands of miles in all sorts of conditions on R888, A048R and Kumho Ecsta V70A all of which have very limited tread and none of which have caused major problems. Caterhams are crap in standing water whatever tyres you have - just take it easy. Most Caterhams don't venture out much in the wet anyway.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Thanks to every one for your replys. I am gona stick to the CR500's. Seems to me that any other tyre is not gona make any mighty leap forward in performance for general fast road use or for when i might get caught in the rain. I have not got any real reason to change from CR500's, other than cost.

Just thought it worth looking into the pros & cons of a change.

Gary

Superlight R'66 GMS 'Flying Very Low'...