Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Splitting top ball joint

Team Escargot

I usually use a bolt and a long nut. Place the nut on the upright, and wind up the bolt. I have cheated slightly and turned the head of the bolt to be slightly "hollow" just to ensure it stays in position...

Hammer.

Turn the wheels so you can hit the inside of the top of the upright - you might want to use a solid drift.

Support the car in a sensible manner -remove the joint nut. Smack the upright on the side with the hammer / hammer and drift - good, solid blows - might need a couple. Don't hit the joint, top or bottom. The shock releases the taper and it falls out. Works for track rod ends.

If you are worried about the finish getting damaged - mine were passivated and show no signs of rust a couple of years later, and it lives outside (currently under several inches of snow - more falling).

If you worried about the upright being damaged and will fail - sell the car and buy a tank - it comes under more loading everytime you apply the brakes.

Bri

Chris Wheeler of the 7 workshop does it best - hammer!

Just hit the actual upright top part where the ball-joint goes through it with a sharp quick but firm wack to the front...

Works every time 😬

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

Co-founder of the BOG Club

See Eugene here

and see what I do here