Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake/Reverse light fuse blowing

Phil R

Hi,

noticed yesterday I had no brake lights or reverse light. Changed the fuse and it blew again immediately the ignition was switched on. Turns out there's sod all clearance between the transmission tunnel and the connections on the reverse light switch. Just rubbed through the rubber covers on the connectors and shorted out on the transmission tunnel.

I thought the gearbox might not have been centred but, when I took a good look, it seemed OK. I fixed it by cutting a 25mm hole in the tunnel and sticking a grommet in it so the connectors can't rub on the tunnel. Just wondered if anyone else had this problem and how they got around it.

/Phil.

Mark,

yeah, I think you're right. Maybe Caterhams are different because, with the connections rubbing on the tunnel, the fuse was blowing every time the ignition was on. You'd think that the reverse light would have just been on all the time wouldn't you? Strange!

Maybe I'll have a poke about with a meter and see what's going on. Although, now it's working. If it ain't broke........

/Phil.