Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Supersport MEMS yes/no ??

skydragon

I have aquired a spare EU3 MEMS ecu (along with imobiliser and plippers) which I believe may have come off a supersport car.

It has a label on the top ' 135 XPOWER 4236K'

It has no other labels/markings apart from the rover label and bar code underneath

can anyone comment on what spec this ECU is.

I might be missing something here.

Would it not come from a x power car? if so it will not be a super sport ecu. Supersport will rev to 7400 or 7600 (i can not remember) were the x power will only rev to 6800.

They both produce the same power give or take but are quite different.

I think you will find the ecu is not programmable and this is why people use Emerald ecu's

I hope the above helps

David

Edited by - David Nelson on 24 Dec 2009 16:55:01

It has always been possible to recalibrate the Mems, but not in the way you would program an after market ECU and only with specific knowledge and hardware. The SS calibration can be applied to an ECU by someone with the right equipment, however, altering or remapping the ECU on the fly is not so easy.

Oily

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sounds like there is no conclusive way of confirming the ECU map without connecting it to the appropriate diagnostic system. I was hoping this spare ECU would save me the hassle/expense of getting my existing ECU upgraded to SS spec.

Since I need a Supersport ECU for my upcoming DVA K13a upgrade, I'm getting my existing EU3 MEMS ECU from my car re-flashed to Supersport spec in the New Year.

Having started down the DVA upgrade path I can assure you it won't stop there

That being the case upgrading a mems to SS spec is a waste of valuable cash since having done that you are up a blind alley and can go no further. ☹️

Best move is to Upgrade ECU now and get full benefit of that upgrade as years progress 😬

I reckon the best path of upgradeitis is to do ECU first after that the world is your oyster

😶‍🌫️ 😶‍🌫️ 😶‍🌫️

jj

MTM , N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

I reckon the best path of upgradeitis is to do ECU first after that the world is your oyster

Perhaps... but that would put me into class 4 of the club hillclimb/sprint competitions (rather than class 3) for which the car would be terribly underpowered at 155bhp. It would also cost me another £700-£800 right now, which I'd rather avoid given I also need to fit new wheels/tyres and a dry sump (££).

My plan/logic is to do a k13a upgrade now (cams, head porting and SS ecu) which with my existing powerspeed 4-2-1 exhaust, 52mm TB and forged pistons will give a bulletproof (fingers crossed) 155bhp. With a set of 215/50 r13 Khumo V70's all round and a new dry sump, the car should be a lot, lot, quicker than it is now. This is the cheapest route to getting close to 160bhp.

The next step in a year or two's time, money allowing, will then be to add throttle bodies, an emerald ECU and perhaps some hotter cams (I'll sell the old cams). That will take it to 175bhp +.

At that point I'll probably stop... *smile* it would be very easy to keep on going, but I want to end up with a reliable car which can also do some serious road millage without worrying about engine rebuilds/refreshes, etc.

If I feel the urge, I can always spend my money on wide-track front end, taller roll cage, decent adjustable shocks all round, brake upgrades, car trailer, track days, RT dash, blah, blah, 😬 😬

The SS ECU re-flash is only around £140, so on the overall scale of things isn't too much of a hit.

edited to add - I also want to stay competing in regular MSA under-1700cc hillclimb and sprint classes, hence me staying with my 1600cc K-series.

Edited by - skydragon on 25 Dec 2009 19:47:27