Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

split rim rebuild

jerrypike

You will have problems repairing the SLR rims as the spun rims are welded together. This was deemed necessary as the clamping bolts spacing was uneven , this led to problems so they welded the spun bits together. If you have a damaged rim suggest you contact Image who made the spun bits or K&N.

My SLR rims are in a rather pitiful state, but I believe that they are not easily repaired owing to the bodged assembly. The first set of rims were noted to bleed air between the rims because there isn't enough bolts holding the rims together. The fix..??!!!... was to weld the rims together. I believe that all the bolts do now is to hold the... er... non-split rims to the hubs.

So, unless the refurb can be done with the wheel in one piece, I doubt there's much that can be done.

However, I am investigating this because I fancy having my rims tidied up and then anodized or powdercoater black. Think it would look rather mean with the rest of my black/blue colour scheme.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I've no particular reason to keep them, other than keeping them is cheaper than a set of R500 wheels which is what I really want.

I've looked at the hub. It wouldn't take too much skill to drill the hubs to accept R500 rims I don't think... unless the spacing for the original SLR nuts/bolts is different to the R500 rims. You'd need both rims though as you can't separate the SLR rims.

Then again, why couldn't a set of undrilled R500 rims be purchased and then drilled to accept equidistantly SLR-spaced nuts/bolts?

Sounds like a bit of a faff. Easier to poly-filler my existing rims and paint 'em with hammerite. *wink*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours