Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie questions

Michael_E

The L7C membership letter came in the post this morning and I'll have money in the bank soon for that new car I’ve dreamed about, so its time to really start asking for advice. I've become hooked on C7's over the last year, a mate (Simon Fletcher) did the Academy and I fell in love with the sheer fun of the cars. So with more desire than sense, what should I look out for and what advice is there for a first timer.

I've set my heart on a 1.6 SV Roadsport (Sumo Version, me being rather tall and the standard roadsport being bloody tight, I hear I could take the seat out but after reading some of the articles on safety and protection I'd sooner have my backside in a proper seat than a bit of foam and selotape :-).

I would like to pay somebody to build it for me (later in the year), but with me helping so that I can learn how it all works and goes together (I don't have the garage, tools, engine lift, 2 sets of spanners needed to put it all together). Having it factory built would be too detached and I'd learn nothing. I’ve heard there are a couple of people around North, North West London who can, so I’ll be buying drinks at one of the meetings soon:-).

I’m interested in doing track days and possibly some sprints next year so advice on any kit, tools or additions to the car you think would be a good idea or essential. With the SV now being Caterham’s best selling car any ideas on the chances of there being events or races in which they can compete in 2003 / 2004 ?

Lastly any good tips any subject, but things such as, I’ve seen quite a few wings fly off on events and damage the bodywork through the ripping out of the rivets, some suggestions of I’ve heard about include using plastic clips instead or Velcro. Do these work? Any tips on safety, security would be useful as well.

Cheers,

Michael “Newbie” Evans

"I set myself very low standards, which I rarely achieve"

Velcro is far too strong to fix any part of the car together.

My wings are held on with selotape on the nearside and I've used an old Jedi trick to keep the offside in place, along with three (never four) squares of Andrex VelvetSoft Labrador Hair

Seriously, wings are easy to glue on using windscreen adhesive (black gloop, easily available). There is a sensible and simple technique to ensure a good key and they are then secure and won't fall off.

Your build plan is a good one - I'm sure someone will offer to help who's local to you.

I was thinking more of when you do want them to fall off, ie: you've just hit something (armco, another car on the track, a lost and pretty fluffy bunny that's breaking the speed limit on the rebound *eek*). What can you use to keep them on for normal fun on the road but will allow them to come off without the need to re-skin the bodywork because they've damaged it by being too well connected. Anyway I might give the Jedi mind trick ago, thanks for the first reply *smile*

Michael

"I set myself very low standards, which I rarely achieve"

Have a look here

Jan T is down near london, as a a couple of other SV owners.

I'm sprinting at Curborough in a couple of weeks time. Pop along and have a look, and chat to some of the owners. I'm definately in, Peter Cox may well be taking part too.

Regards,

Martin

Cheers for the invite, I went to Curb. last year to cheer Simon on, the track looks like a lot of fun and one where you can come back to it and see how much you've learnt. I'll see if I can make it.

Again, cheers for the reply.

Michael.

I set myself very low standards, which I rarely achieve

Essential is the specification of an FIA bar - without it you will not be able to enter club sprints or track days.

Extras cost a lot less bought new, so get lots of advice from someone like MAV who has bought an SV and competes in it.

Check out the Academy thread on chitchat for lots of advice on racing/safety bits.

Essential tools - some sort of socket set, torque wrench (needed to check torque of wheel nuts if nothing else), a good quality tyre pressure gauge, trolley jack, allen keys. I am sure there must be other things too but I cannot think of any. Caterham have started selling sets of everything an owner will need but I could not comment on whether or not they are good value.

Get along to your local meets and talk to lots of people. Of course they won't all agree so you might not get a clear picture! When I was deciding what to upgrade my old car to, I got lots of conflicting advice!

If you want to compete, you should either get list 1a tyres fitted to start with (ie, not ACB10's or Yokos with an R in the name) or be prepared to have two sets of wheels/tyres. Some people have several sets, but I just stick with list 1a's the whole time.

In terms of fixing wings, there is a distinction between front and rear: front can be glued on so they don't fall off (and looks neater than bolts and avoids possible crazing round the bolts), but the rears should be fixed with plastic nuts and bolts so they fall off easily wihtout damaging the alloy body.

Security - removable steering wheel.

I'm sure you'll have lots more questions in due course...

Thanks for the information.

I'm getting to find out loads from the different sections covered by the forums.

It appears to be a nice helpful community, which I'm glad to be joining.

Regards

Michael

I set myself very low standards, which I rarely achieve

If you're talking rear wings use plastic bolts and 2 plastic nuts on each bolt. I believe M6 is the correct size as there are a couple of blind holes (rivnuts ?). I did this on my car and they popped off a treat without damaging the skin. I even managed to re-use the bolts after. You can get them from most fastner places and they cost £b*gger-all.

Davebo

C7 CAR

Edited by - davebo on 12 Aug 2002 14:41:17