Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Ford competition engine

Glenn Wheeler

Ford have withdrawn from the BTCC (for next year at least).

There's a new all-alloy "Zetec" (where Zetec is just brand that they seem to like to stick on a range of totally different engines) coming out soon. There's also the 1.7 Zetec SE (the Yamaha-developed engine in the Puma) - surprising that there hasn't been more tuning effort gone into this yet, as soon as someone starts making some cams for it then I think it'll become a popular alternative to the K-series.

Mike

Ford is launching a new 1.8 and 2.0-litre engine in the Mondeo soon, called the Duratec HE. All aluminium-alloy (with cast iron cylinder sleeves), it's reputedly much, much smoother than the Zetec E lump that has gone before it, and will form the basis for an all-new engine family, as Ford seeks to cut the number of I4 petrol engines it has worldwide.

As stock in the Mondeo, the 2.0-litre has 145PS (143bhp) @ 6,000 and 190Nm (140lb.ft) @ 4500. It's also 18kg lighter than the Zetec E it replaces, but how heavy that makes it, and how that compares with other units, I dunno.

All in though,I'd guess that production-based Ford competition engines will be derived from this in future.