Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cleaning bare ali

alextangent

After a spring/summer/autumn where I didn't bother too much about looks and only gave the old girl a light wipe down when wet, I'm now trying to clean the bare ali. Method is

1. clean grime off with turps, wipe off

2. 1000 grit wet, lightly rub down to get off nubs and bigger corrosion marks/scratches, wipe off

3. AutoSol, wipe off

4. Light buff off with drill attached buff, wipe down

Comes up pretty shiny, with the exception of what look like small, slightly white patches. They're a couple of mm across and don't respond to the above treatment. Any suggestions?

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

I know what you mean about white patches

Well I use to finish off with Brasso Duraglit Metal Polish Wadding but takes ages then in winter a coat of car polish

I used it then all year gave up after 2 winters and had it painted but it was shiny if I kept it up ever 2 weeks in summer and was instantly dirty winter

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

a machine polisher is the only way to go - or so I concluded after 10 years of highly polished ally. I too only did mine twice per year, each time taking about 5 hours.

Belogom alu was my choice with vienna lime to remove the residue *thumbup*

I'm now on paint and life is is all about stone chips rather than the quality of polishing mops *tongue* 😬

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

I'm trying to get the worst off under the clams; there are milky marks and quite a lot of staining from the bolts (which are being replaced with plastic). The front suspension is coming off, so there's a chance to clean around the bits you normally can't get at too.

Did go out in the snow tonight, but it was surprisingly warm with the garage door closed *thumbup*

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...