Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA Bar extension

bstark

I have an FIA bar fitted to my live axle Seven, but with a helmet on it doesn't give the required 5cm clearance for my bonce (I'm 6ft 2 and with the bench seat base out it does clear my helmet, but only just).

I don't want to fit the extra tall bar as it won't then fit under the hood.

As this is only an issue for the occasional trackday, does anyone know of a company that sells / makes a bolt-on to the FIA bar to effectively raise it's height, that can then be removed easily for normal road use. Is this even practical / safe?

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Can't envisage a simple bolt on extension that would not rotate under "use" Perhaps if the FIA bar was modified with welded in sockets it could be accomplished (but the sockets may well weaken the bar)

Talk to Safety Devices 01353 724202/3 and let us know how you get on

Or you could try what I have just done. Albeit that I have an SV with S type seats so I'm not sure how feasable this would be for your model.

Take out the base of the seat and sit on the floor (I've actually made a fiberglass base for a bit more comfort but essetialy I'm sat on the floor). Then move the seat back as far as it will go. In effect you would then be leaning back a bit further and increasing the head clearence. I have also added a small cussion for some extra lumbar support. This obviously depends on you being able to move the seat back though. Or you could move the pedals further forward.

X77CAT

Tried that last night (bench seat anyway, so the back of the cockpit is just padded - took the seat base out and sat on a very thin cushion on the bare floor) as I wanted to see if I would be OK at Lydden, but alas I am simply too tall.

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

We have short cockpit chassis with tall roll bars. The hood does go over the top and can be used, albeit cosmetics are not improved. We have also the small composite seats which give a more 'laid-back' driving position which also lowers the head.

I have seen at least one racing caterham that has a small extra hoop welded onto the top of the roll bar, which just gives a bit extra around the bit where the driver's helmet would be.

Don't know who did the modification, but it is obviously OK by the scrutineers. It would be possible to have an extra pocket added to the hood, much like the one in the toneau for the steering wheel.

allen

Rory S has this mod. It looks good but came on the car when he bought it so he doesn't know who did it....

Not much help really but he passes scrut. Plus there's a little pic of it on my site under Lydden July at the bottom of the page.

Steve

My racing pics here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 8 Aug 2002 15:58:50

Alan, Steve - that sounds more like what I had in mind...

Can anyone suggest somewhere in the Kent area (or not too distant) that knows what they are doing and may be able to do the Roll bar mod - and likewise for the hood?

Cheers for the advice, by the way. *thumbup*

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Oxted trimming, makers of the original hood, can modify the hood to fit over the tall FIA bar. They're on 01883 712 112 and located in, surprise, Oxted, Surrey; I think the contact is Eddie.

You might also want to consider making a foam seat. These typically allow you to slide your bum forward and sit in a more reclined position, thus lowering your head. I had to do this to fit under a tall cage while wearing a helmet.