Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Anyone tried the oil-extractor from Halfords?

Myles

I noticed that Halfords have a 6-litre oil-extractor thing on the shelves. Bit pricey at £64. Consists of a plastic sphere, a pump-handle thing and some hoses. Piccies on the box suggest that you can extract oil via the dipstick if you wish.

I'd be interested in something similar (it's nice and compact and doesn't need a compressor) particularly for the dry-sumped Westie - I've not done an oil change on it yet, but my understanding is that there's a chunk of unbolting bits and pieces that might be a right faff (but is probably a good excuse to whip the clutch-pack out and check for wear etc.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I have the Pela 6000. Works well, I use it for my wife's VW TDi PD engined car. The oil filter is at the top of the block so I extract the oil through the dip stick and change the filter in between main services. I think I paid £30 2 yrs ago.

BRG and Yellow nose now with added brooklands

Agree with doing it hot - with extractor or not.

The CC dry-sump does mean that there is no plug in the sump (I don't think).

Also, if no after-market solution has been put in place, the only way to drain the dry-sump in the bellhousing is to remove a plate at the bottom. This means the 4 tiny bolts strip the magnesium treads in the b/h after about 4 changes *mad* - what a crap design! I've now re-tapped mine and have a plate with a drain plug in it - no more leaks now *thumbup*

Either way, I see no issue with extraction - it's becoming common on many new cars and will likely be standard within a short while, probably due to health and safety issues - not a good idea to have hot oils splashing about.

If using an extractor in the CC b/h, don't forget to spin the external oil pump by hand to empty what's left in the engine sump into the b/h...

• Area Representative

It may be OK for a quick oil swap although I tend to agree with Ian, doing a "proper" oil change does the job of removing any swarf that may be lingering in the oil pan and checks that your blackbird gearset is not disintegrating *smile*. Using a pump to get out the vast majority of the dry sump contents might be a good idea although I just remove the bottom hose and release it into a oil bowl and leave it draining. If you have an oil cooler then this can be emptied as well.

Nick

Lava Orange Caterham Blackbird *cool*

Ta. Thought the price was a bit high for a glorified garden-sprayer in reverse! 😬

As Nick suggests, if nothing else it'd allow the majority of the oil to be removed before dissembly - 10 litres takes an awful lot of mopping up from the tarmac! *redface*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Just googled Pela. I'm almost 100% sure that's the product they had on the shelf. The shelf-sticker (at £65) did refer to a Laser-branded tool (and the box did not).

I think I'll go check with them (might as well check their online store first).

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻