Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Caterham 21

Mr Locust

The 21 has actually been out of production for a good couple of years now. Sadly there were too many other more practical fully bodied cars, for some reason it seemed that people were asking for wind down windows, room for a couple of bulky backsides, ease of entry, a cigar lighter, cupholders, etc. There were even rumours that the odd person requested ICE [and that's not for their gin and tonic either].

I think there were more than 39 made, Chris Rees' book claimed 49, but including prototypes and odd race cars, the feelings are that more like 60 odd were made.

It is just such a pretty car, I still have strangers come up to mine in the street or car park and drool all over it - it's just so messy, I can well understand why people don't want them. A big design fault was not building in a body washer system...............

Oh yes, it's a shame that they didn't put a real engine in it when it reached production, but by that time the Vauxhall engine was already out of production.

Red 245bhp Vauxhall powered 21

[Now For Sale]

Hi Paul

There's one point in your list of 21 features with which I must disagree

", room for a couple of bulky backsides, "

Now my reason for contradicting this is that:-

1 You can get in!

and

2 I also fitted the car when I tried it.

So it can't be that cramped is we fit can it? After all neither of us could be called sylph like could we?

Best wishes

John Gathard

Hey, you cheeky devil John, speak for yourself!

I've only put on weight since I had the 21, and then only in direct proportion to the size of the 21 - ie rather like a jelly mould being filled with jelly. Getting out however is a little more of a problem these days!

Red 245bhp Vauxhall powered 21

[Now For Sale]

Paul,

What you need is a K series 7. Then when the starter fails you'll soon slim down after you've push started it a few times. Geoff Northcott will soon need to trade in his SV for a normal 7 he'll have lost so much weight pushing them. John has only just started his training course so has a way to go yet, mind you he does have Cornish pasties to keep to his fighting weight. *smile*

The 21 has a useful advantage over the 7 - the doors make it much easier to jump into the car, which is very useful when doing a solo push start of car suffering from K-starter syndrome.

Craig (owner of the aforemention VHPD 21) was getting quite good at this on the Finland trip.

Miraz