Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine refresh time... Options

Neophyte

So I thought it would a good time to think about some TLC for the car (noticed small oil patch on garage floor), so had the car given the once over... Received the following from Mechanic (who I know and trust):

"Engine shows losses [on leakdown test] of 14% on two cylinders, 11% on one and 9% on the remaining one. In general over 10% would indicate a need for a refresh so we are in that area. That said the engine runs well and is still strong so really it is down to budget. If you were to do it I would recommend a full head rebuild with replaced pistons and liners and of course all the bearings, oil pump and gaskets. The oil leak also indicates the same signs of wear with the leak appearing from around the sump seal and the rear crankshaft main seal. These are generally the areas that indicate piston to liner wear or piston ring wear. This is consistent with a K series on roller barrels as they tend to over fuel at low throttle openings which leads to excessive bore wear as the oil is diluted in the bores by un burnt fuel"

This I should have mentioned is on my K series R400, which I believe to be standard (except DVA verniers and "2 Steve's" remapping) which is putting out (or was last year!) 226bhp and 161lb/ft. It is an '04 car with c23,000miles (I got rather carried away in the first year of ownership and managed 12k *redface* but hey ho as they say).

So I spoke to DVA briefly (I interrupted some work I think, sorry Oily 😶‍🌫️ ) in rough ballpark terms it is c£1,500 for a full refresh assuming it is just 'the usual' that needs replacing. I had been under the impression I might be looking at more so came as a nice surprise. Although he is busy until April *eek*

I am also told that is too much power for a standard car (by DVA) so am a bit confused *redface*

So... whilst I am there (ie engine out and apart) what is worth considering in term of additional work 🤔 I think principally aimed at more reliability, but also more torque might be nice.

I did wonder about a 1.9 Scholar block conversion *rolleyes* which seemed quite reasonable at c£1,100 on their websites I noticed. Anyone had experience of that 🤔

Finally I think I might try to wait for April (DVA) to do the work but is that unwise 🤔

Any input or comment welcomed *smile*

Edited by - neophyte on 10 Dec 2009 18:40:23

226 bhp and 161 lbs ft torque out of a standard 1.8K R400. I don`t think so you must have been eating too much cheese *smile*

On a serious note If the engine has been well looked after and run on good clean oil I would not expect too much wear to have taken place on either the pistons, rings or liners. If you are on a tight budget all that may need doing is lap in the valves and a reshim change the valve stem seals and a new set of valve springs. It all depends on what you find when you pull it to bits.

Rob

so you must have been eating too much cheese

It may be so it seems. I thought I knew what I had, but am now questioning that *confused* Doesn't make the decision about what to do any more simple *rolleyes* But I am looking on the required research as a good learning curve to be climbing

Thanks for the input *smile*

There's loads of experience of the 1.9s dotted around here - Nigel Marston was one of the first - and that was four+ years ago if my employment-history is any guide...

The £1.1k might buy you the block-conversion - but I suspect/think that the pistons etc. will be on top of that. They also do a 1.8 conversion - but presumably for similar money.

Dunno if Oily will comment, but unless you are stressing the engine, I'd guess that the body of knowledge (and newer HG options) might make the 1.8 version of questionable-value.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

The £1.1k might buy you the block-conversion - but I suspect/think that the pistons etc. will be on top of that. They also do a 1.8 conversion - but presumably for similar money.

Dunno if Oily will comment, but unless you are stressing the engine, I'd guess that the body of knowledge (and newer HG options) might make the 1.8 version of questionable-value.

That includes the pistons here

I am showing my ignorance now *redface* can you explain what you mean about HG options/questionable value? I agree cost benefit is an important consideration *smile*

Was the engine hot enough when they did the test ? it may be borderline but if it's not using more than 1ltr/1000km it could only be valve related.

I believe so and not using that much oil thankfully *thumbup*

To start with Rob 2 post above preduces a very good k and might be able to help. There is also Couger racing, Jason who works out of jan speed and the steve's will have his number

just a few option hope it help

Thx 😶‍🌫️

you mean about HG options/questionable value?

One of the (implicit) benefits is that you should never have to worry about liner-heights again - they can't/shouldn't ever move. So, if all you are trying to achieve is a bomb-proof engine, the 1.8 conversion (in particular) might seem overkill for sensible hp given that the latest LandRover gasketry appears (from what I've read here) to pretty-much sort out the old HGF gremlins if properly applied).

Oily's your man anyway, not me *wink*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Depending on where you are in the country Ben Rockery - The Classisc Car Workshop - Parham Sussex 01903 744234 looks after quite a few Grad Cars and more importantly is not expensive - He is quieter at the moment as he is helping me build a new 1800 engine (Bought the cams off DVA) Hope this helps *smile*