Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4 K Tickover

Petrolhead

I believe this has something to do with the auto idle valve.... they are about £70 for a new one I think but I have had the same problem in the past I have cleaned them out using petrol, admittedly on Fords but I think the 1400K uses the same valve.

Maybe someone else can be more definite.

Ta Simon.

X777CAT

• 1 month later...

Have sorted my 1400 ss to a 1000 RPM tickover. Any less and the noise from the first motion shaft in the g/box annoys me. Sounds like a rattle until you put your foot on the clutch pedal & then it goes.No, it's not the release bearing.

Stu F. Do you suffer the same noise? I drove a new R500 recently & that was far worse & it only had 250 miles on the clock!!!

Well if you fiddle with that screw it completely changes the idle settings as this is the air bypass screw. It also changes the throttle damping on overrun and gear changes.

They can be a little troublesome but using the old Microcheck service tool available at Rover dealers or Caterham Dealers (I think) should be capable or resetting idle conditions. The system relies on the correct amount of basic airflow for idle control.

Gear box rattle always was a problem as even the supersport spec engines with 260 cams can still idle lower than the speed the gearbox rattles at. Most likely down to torsional vibrations.

There again if your complaining about the gear rattle because it's a bit unrefined 'Sell the car and go and buy a hairdresser spec. MR2 or a 4 cylinder BMW Z3'

Alternatively GET REAL!