Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How Long Do They Last?

cskip

Excuse the novice question:

Are race suits etc dated?

If so how long should they last when purchased new?

How do you tell when they expire? (I presume it is on the label of the suit on the collar!)

Where are good places to try on race suits? I am aware of Demon Tweeks and GPR, but both are a long way away from my home (Hants). Does Merlin Motorsport have a good selection?

Skip

Edited by - cskip on 7 Dec 2009 19:47:19

I'm sure someone be along in a minute to correct any errors in the following from more expienced heads.

Race Suit's have both a standard and a manufacture date.

The standard will be either FIA 1986, which is the old standard and will be phased out in the next couple of years, or FIA 8856-2000

Don't know how long they last but it's dependent on how well you take care of it and how much use.

Suit's can either be bought from Demontweeks which is where I got mine (They have a sizing guide) or from the likes of Ebay, which is where I got my first suit which I need to sell at some point as I went a size too small.

Don't forget gloves and mandatory from this year.

Q469 WET 1990 Caterham 1690 Crossflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits.CaterBram on Facebook

• Leadership Team

Skip - treat yourself to a day out at the Autosport Show at the NEC in Jan - Demon Tweeks and other suppliers will be there and you can try plenty on, (and there are often offers available).

Michael.

Thanks. I will probably go to the autosport show.

I thought I heard that the regs state a duration for approved items. E.g. That a suit bought now could only be used for x years. Or is the suit valid for as long as the standard is valid?

Skip

• Area Representative

The FIA 86 standard is being phased out for racing, but is ok for speed events.

Suits need to be clean and in good condition, but there is currently no "life" element.

I've bought and sold several suits on EBAY. I can be a very cost effective way of buying a suit!