Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Getting something out of the gearbox!?

JACK FLASH

I admit that I was not carefull enough but you can' t learn without making mistakes. *mad*

When taking off the top cover plate of the gearbox - in order to fill up the new oil more easily - one of the three retainer springs got lost (2000E with 3 rails).

Since the spring is untracable, there is a chance that it fell into the gearbox.

I would like to be sure, so I tried several methods to detect / remove the spring from the bottom of the gearbox. These were : filling and draining oil several times, scraping the sides and bottom of the gearbox with a hook, compressed air.

The next step would be driving the car for a short distance and draining the oil again. I reckon the movement should force the spring to the lowest point of the gearbox, the drain plug.

Can some-one give me advice on other methods or tricks?

Jack Flash

Never heard about a magnet in a Ford gearbox but it sounds logic. I suppose the goal would be to trap foreign bodies and prevent them from doing harm.

I only have a straight screwdriver antenna with a magnet at the end. I' ll start a search for these bending probes in Belgium.

Jack Flash

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Never too old to learn.

I' ll start with Elie' s cheap solution. If I need a Draper tool - it can be handy for other problems in the future - I' ll put it on the list for January.

BTW Elie, did you see a Seven in Paris? I plan to pass at your place next Thursday.

Jack Flash

one of the three retainer springs got lost (2000E with 3 rails).

and

The next step would be driving the car for a short distance and draining the oil again

From memory, in the 3 rail 2000E gearbox those springs each preload a ball bearing that in turn preloads a horizontal pin in each of the three selector rails. This is part of the interlock mechanism that would noramlly prevent engagement of two gears simultaneously.

Driving the car in this state you could completely destroy the gearbox, bigtime *eek* *eek*

malcolm

I have 2 bendy tools with the magnet at the end. One for the cars and one in the glider tool kit. I have used the latter more to retrieve items (nuts etc) dropped in to the fuselage that I can't get my hand in easily.

You are welcome to borrow them I also have the ones with the 4 tiny claws at the end too.

You are most welcome to borrow them.

Gavin

1988 1700 Supersprint (LA, long cockpit)

Malcolm,

A true remark, although I believe there is another blocking mechanism inside the gearbox. The balls and springs certainly do have an important function. According to the manuals I have the function of the springs is preventing jumping out of gear, not preventing the simultaneous engagement of 2 gears. When the springs get weak, they must be replaced or filled up with shims.

I already ordered 3 new springs and I hope to have them next week.

Gavin, I' ll be in the Brussels region on Thursday. Perhaps we could meet.

Jack Flash

Alright, picked up the bendy tools at Gavin yesterday and I' ll do some surgery with it during the weekend.

If nothing turns up, I must take the risk, fill up the gearbox and start driving with it ... carefully and very attentive. The new springs will be certainly firmly glued to the top cover plate.

The top plate conversion with a filler is on my list but it' ll have to wait. I urgently want to drive again before it starts snowing. I am still 180 km away from my "distance target" for 2009.

Jack Flash

Chris,

Glad I am not the only clumsy mechanic. 😬

My Twin Cam is very close to a Lotus 7 S3 and I already tried all of my fingers and some other stuff in the drain hole.

Since there is some slum on the bottom of the gearbox I am thinking of putting some degreaser (aceton, white spirit, ...) in the gearbox, leave it for a while and drain it. If the spring is in there I reckon it must migrate to the lowest point and come out sooner or later.

I don' t think a degreaser can do harm to the inner parts of the gearbox or am I wrong?

Jack Flash

it was possible retrieve the spring by poking a finger into the drain hole at the bottom...."

When I was filling my gearbox recently I stuck a finger in the filler hole to see if I could feel the level of oil....and got it stuck *eek*

I got my finger out by dipping it in the oil (since it was full to the level) and thus lubricated my finger and managed to get it out. Scared myself witless as there was no one else in the house and I was effectively stuck in the garage under the car and out of reach of any phone or anything to call for help.

John

Edited by - jradley on 12 Dec 2009 00:28:02

• 3 weeks later...