Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spring rates, plus wheel widths?

bardi

89' Zetec De Deon

This engine all though not ideal these days, produces a respectable 175bhp+on twin 45's , however, my problem is that Iv'e no idea of where to start 'ratewise' I read about spring rates from 170-290lb dependant upon engine weight and wether the car is used primarily for circuits or roadwork?

The car is for road- going hillclimbs and will run 13" rims, possibly Et 19 x 6" fronts and Et 19 x 7" rears. with a max power eventually of some 215-225 bhp I can't see that 8" rears would be of any benefit.....any advice at this stage would be welcome

in what appears to be a 'lottery' for the uninitiated

Regards

Bardi

• Support Team

I can't help with spring rates but what tyres are you planning to use? This will help decide on the wheel width you need. Are you intending running list 1A or list 1B?

If 1B then the tyre of choice at the moment is the Kumho Ecsta V70A in soft compound (supersoft if you can get it). On 13" rims you have the choice of 175/60R13, 215/50R13 or 235/45R13. For 215-225bhp most of the sprinters are running 215 fronts and 235 rears. Optimum rim widths for this are 8" front and 9"rear although most of us are on 7.5" front and 8.5" rear.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing