Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing drivers side floor with honeycomb

charlie_pank

OK, I can use brute force, but I wanted to check if anyone has any better ideas first.

I need to get the floor out because I can't get at the rivets to remove the tunnel, which I have to do for my BEC conversion. I've drilled out all the rivets holding the floor in, but I can still jump up and down on it without it shifting.

I presume it is siliconed into place all the way around. The only thing I can think of doing to help me get it off is to go and get a heat gun from B&Q to try and loosen the silicone, if so how hot should I go and what do I risk damaging?

Has anyone else had a similar problem with floor removal, and how did you fix it?

Thanks

C

back here because I want to be.

Edited by - charlie_pank on 4 Dec 2009 12:35:06

• Area Representative

Charlie

Just removed my floors and there was no silicon. Simply drilled the rivets from underneath and floor almost fell out. Outer part of floor is sandwiched between side skin and chassis. Inner part simply butts up to chassis. If there is silicone or similar, can you get a sharp knife or scraper between chassis and floor to cut and prise. This is what I had to do in other parts that were siliconed in.

Good luck

Edited to say-

Assume the honeycomb simply sits on top of normal floor and presumably held by silicon. Perhaps when was floor fitted silcon ran out between floor, honeycomb and chassis sticking the lot together. Can you get a sharp knife vertically between honeycomb and chassis from insiden the car?

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 4 Dec 2009 14:24:47

Folks the problem Charlie has is due to the honeycomb strengthening panel fitted to this ex-Academy car. Just wish I could remember for sure how I fitted it 😳.

I think you are right thought Charlie that I siliconed it into place. Not sure a heat gun would work as silicone has been used sealing exhaust joints in the past without it melting away.

Silicone eater from B&Q etc may be the best option or brute force but who knows how much bits will deform before it gives way. Good luck.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care