Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stack problem

Julian Thompson

I've bought the little external air temp sensor for my stack dash - it plugs neatly into the extension wire marked "air" - but how do I get it to register the temperature? The manual seems to refer to a huge list of parameters that are accessed via the menu but I only get 1/2 of them, and "air temp" isnt mentioned at all, even though the manual shows the display reading the air temp. Mine is a "Caterham" branded Stack.

Can't think where this would register without either replacing another read out on a layer of the display or by having additional layers (which I would have thought would need a bigger upgrade than plugging a sensor in)...?

As std. I believe the Caterham dash is like the Stack 8130 Road dash, so it has:

Layer1:

Fuel level, MPH, trip/odo

Layer2:

Oil temp, MPH, Oil Pressure

Layer3:

Water temp, MPH, Oil pressure

Layer4:

Fuel pressure, MPH, volts

Layer5:

Stopwatch/manual lap timer and...MPH.

I suppose it could replace L3 OilPress or L4 FuelPress but I'm fairly sure Stack need to know this up front and program the unit accordingly (?).

Could be talking out of my orifice here though. Best bet would be to give Caterham or Stack a call and ask them...

Note that if it does have to go back to them you'll be without instruments until they sort it (which might take weeks).

External air temperature? On an aeroscreen'd car? *smile*

I know it sounds weird but I just wanted all the options complete - I hate "dangly" wires that do nowt! I might use it for something like a power run, so I can write down the ambient temp? Dunno but I'm a sucker for useless widgets!

The Stack manual DOES clearly show it! Maybe it'll have to go back then!

Just tie the dangly wires out of the way. You'll soon forget they're there *smile*

I'm fairly sure the Stack manual is pretty generic, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was there even with units that aren't thus equipped.

But as with all things I could very well be wrong. Give 'em a call, I'm sure they'll clarify (and if it does slot in, let us know which layer it goes in).

Nice looking car by the way.

It is a bit daft. I guess for the sake of a 1p piece of wire it's easier than marking them 1, 2, 3 etc then having to cross reference for a given configuration? Maybe it terminates with one of the other wires?

You should still give Stack a call though.

There are two 8130 dashes, I think one is called the 8130P or something.

One displays air temperature, and one displays fuel pressure. Stack can reprogram your dash, but its not exactly cheap.

I'll give you 15squid for the air temp sensor!

(I've got an 8130 with no sensor)

Cheers,

Ed