Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X-flow out, what should I renew?

Midnight

As I managed to melt a very nice forged piston in my X-flow, I am stripping my 50.000 mile engine for a rebuild. Apart from the obvious of a new piston and maybe a liner if the bore is too scored, and a new clutch CRB, cover plate. What else would you guys recommend I change while the motor is out.

• Area Representative

Hi mate, sorry to hear about the engine ☹️

ISTR that there's a core plug at the back of the crossflow that's impossible to get to with the engine in-situ, so that wouldn't be a bad idea. And all the mounting rubbers, but I expect you'd thought of that. Gearbox input shaft oil seal perhaps? Can't think of owt else.

Are you about tonight for the NK meet at The Plough by any chance?

Cruds

Check main and big end bearings and replace if necessary (sometimes they bed in beautifully and last almost indefinitely), rehone bores and fit new rings. check cam lobe condition, strip head and lap in valves, probably replace valve springs, new big end bolts, new timing chain, etc.

...And the valve guide seals 😬 Fit a decent head gasket when reassembling.

You could also consider converting the cooling system to a sealed one if you haven't yet done so. Loads in the archive about this. You could also check the condition of your hoses.

Also while the engine is out its easier to check that oh so troublesome last foot or so of wiring that goes into the alternator to see if the exhaust heat has turned it brittle.

New clutch cable to go with the nice new clutch ?

Gearbox shaft to crankshaft spigot bearing, clutch release bearing, check flywheel starter ring teeth for wear. Check timing chain tensioner, Check for play in water pump. Remove head studs, clean and retap all threads in head (UNC). Also check engine threads, ie alternator adjusting bracket bolt hole, (quite often strips!).

Thoroughly clean and repaint engine.

Good Fun!

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Edited by - johnjulie on 7 Dec 2009 03:08:34

Thanks for the replies which are helpful luckily at this time of year I'm in no rush to get it back in the car so I can make sure all of the suggestions are included in the rebuild. Crudders thanks for the invite, I've missed getting over to the Plough this year . Its been one of those years where either the weather has been crap or I've been doing something else. Still, looking forward to seeing you and the North Kent crowd next year. I'l start polishing the ankle chains.

Cheers, Des