Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT Failure - emissions - not any more

mattobrien

New (to me) R500 k-series failed it's MOT today, as the title suggests on emissions.

In terms of what to do - I could do with a bit of help.

The car has an MBE ECU currently and it has been suggested that if this was switched to an emerald it would be possible to have two maps, one for the MOT and one for proper use, therefore beign able to pass the MOT.

A new ECU and subsequent rolling road map isn't going to be cheap, so before going down this route I wanted to ask for any suggestions from POBC.

Matt

Edited by - mattobrien on 2 Dec 2009 17:42:20

Could be number of reasons as to why it failed and frankly if the engine its sensors and CAT all in good shape then just as capable of passing with an MBE as with an Emerald.

What age car is it and was the CAT fitted for the test...?

My Winter '08 Upgrade was to a screaming DVA K05.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk

Check your throttle pot settings.

Also your lambda sensor could be faulty.

Does the car run with the standard map or has it been re-mapped?

The MBE can easily be reprogrammed provided the map has been unlocked. OK, the MBE can not hold two maps, but your PC can...

/r

Matt, the Emerald does indeed have a switch so that you can easily swap between maps but that would be a hugely expensive way of doing it by the time you've bought the Emerald and had it mapped.

Caterham Midlands sold me a 2001 R500 at the begining of 2008 and it was delivered with a fresh MOT and had the standard map on the MBE. It would be cheaper to take the car to them for an annual oil change and MOT rather than mess about with an Emerald.

Adrian

Matt,

Definately do not even contemplate changing from the MBE to Emerald.. to simply pass emissions.. that is madness!! They in effect do the same job.

Try and find someone who even half knows how to work a 3 gas anaylser. The initial results should very quickly lead to some form of conclusion. It may well be that the values are close and the TPS sensor needs simply swung slightly on the spindle without the need to remap.

I'd do it for ya but I'm in N.Ireland... sorry 😬

wanting more cc's in the busa

I seem to have this problem every year. Assuming your CAT is working OK, I would suggest the following: -

1) Check/fix any air leaks in the exhaust system.

2) Check/set TPS.

3) Check/balance the rollers.

4) Give car a good thrashing and get it re-tested whilst its still hot.

Good luck

A little difficult to do without an MOT (I assume you now cannot take it on the road) but I was told to run an additive through the system (Redex or similar) before the test to clear any carp off the valves, injectors, etc.

Obviously it won't sort the problem if the Cat isn't working or the mapping is off, but it could make the difference on a marginal result.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

And today we got a pass - hooray. *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

The car is being delivered back to me Friday evening with instructions to be very careful.

Think I might block out the weekend 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

I think that I am looking forward to playing with the new seven.

Apparently it is a little stiff on the suspension - it was suggested that it will be back in six months to have the suspension changed - looking forward to finding out.

Thanks you to everyone for thier help and suggestions.

The car comes home tonight, so I am very much looking forward to seeing all the good work that OBNS has been doing.

I will be up bright an early to head down to the post office to get myself a tax disc and that will be promptly followed by my first blat in the new car.

The instruction has been to be very very very very very careful as the car has racing suspension and is on ACB10's. Also it has 70bhp more than I am used to.

Hoping to persuade Mrs O to let me have a pass for Snetterton next weekend so that I can really start to learn the car.

Off home in a moment as I have someone coming round to have a look at my Roadsport, so hopefully she will have a new home soon and I will have the necessary garage space for the new car.

Matt