Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clams to cylce wings

alextangent

Just thinking, since I have a cracked clam and the old girl is getting stripped back at the front end for other remedial work, and the clams are off.

Been done to death I know, but has anyone used decals like this to cover up the holes created by getting rid of clams? I'm on bare ali, and the corrosion under the clams has left less than a perfect surface for a lot of the other methods.

Grind out the rivnuts, leave the holes, smooth off as best as possible and apply some advertising? Not looking for picture perfect, but I wouldn't want the side skins to look like they've been raked by small arms gunfire. Any thoughts?

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Alex,

I had my car painted when I made the change to cycle wings. If you look here and zoom in on the shot of the car on the trailer you can see we used big head rivets to fill the holes left by removing the rivnuts. Even on an unpainted car they would look fine at 70!

NE Area Rep

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

When I bought mine the clam's had been removed and had cycle wings fitted, but i'm considering the classic retro look for it's age.

But...

Only if there's not a drastic impact to top speed, accelleration or handling..

Can anyone advise.

Q469 WET 1990 Caterham 1690 Crossflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits.CaterBram on Facebook

• Area Representative

Don't forget new rack or stops on rack to limit movement if you're moving to cycle wings from clams.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

CaterBram Jnr

Only if there's not a drastic impact to top speed, acceleration or handling..

Nothing I have noticed but I only driven with clamshells, so its not a real opinion.

Others say you get lift at high speed... just Urban rumour spread by cycle wing owners *nono*….. never had a problem still it’s a relatively heavy lump up front but does have an alloy bell housing

As to racks well the early ones did have different limit stops but when buying the quick rack I was told they were all the same and found I had less full lock… at first I missed that ability when parking still best check or the cycle wings hit the body on near full lock

If you do have an early rack change it anyway the fast racks so much better *thumbup*

Personally I think they look better, no muck thrown up at you and look great with Brooklands *thumbup* Very simian looking *thumbup*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

I'm fairly confident that the Guy's at Penn 7s will acknowledge, that even though my car has clams, it is in no way detrimental to handling or performance 😬

You also stay drier in the wet!

Nigel.

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

A Wolf in Clams Clothing!

Hi Alex,

you could get the complete sideskin 'wrapped' in a plain/coloured vinyl, or even a pattern of your choice. There's a graphics firm local to me who do lots of these for WRC cars, commercial vehicles and private cars also. You could order a silver/alloy finish, to mimic the bare ally finish, and never have to autosol again!

I did convert from clams to cycles, and had clearance issues with the wing brackets against the sideskins, made up some steering lock stops for my original early steering rack. if you need any more advice, just ask.

Les.

Thanks for all the options *thumbup* and the encouragement to stay with clams *thumbup*. Undecided. Let's see how the costs are this winter.

Still got a crack in the n/s clam. 😔 Self coloured too, so not that easy to make look good. But I'm not shelling out for a new one. *nono*

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...