Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cheap Carbon Rear Wings

EFA

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arnie,

If these rear wings are half as good as the the Front ones the dog in the park sold earlier this, with the high gloss finnish and Kevlar matt inside to stop the stones popping through ( This happens a lot at Lydden) and for only £600. 10 times better than the OEM wings.

A Bargain!!!!

Merrick

Arnie,

Are you going to be getting them made on the same tooling that my set were made on. Just a WORD OF WARNING.

Caterham changed the design of the rear wing and they are now mounted further back on the chassis than the tooling suitable for Arnies vintage of car. The new wings are designed to follow the curve of the ali skin as it turns to form the rear panel of the car. Arnie's wings are designed to fit further forward onto a plain flat section of side skin. They will leave a 10mm gap between the body and the wing which will need to be filled. Mine are fitted with a fillet of Sikoflex instead of the rubber beading, which is both a lighter and neater solution, but it takes more time effort and fiddle to fit the wings. Drilling wings to match existing holes is also a tricky business.

Excellent product, just worth knowing that it isn't a direct bolt on replacement.

Oh. ☹️

Depending on the answer to that, I had a great idea which may or may not be possible... how about incorporating a mould for the rear light cluster so you can do without the heavy brick of rubber?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Peter,

The tooling for your wings was of an older design, and the wings were fussy about precise location to get the gap at the rear down. I wouldn't say its 10mm though, and on my car, the rubber beading covers the gap in its entirety.

The fit was also dependent on trimming the return to close the gap in question.

The new wings will be made from new tools, and the heavies have been modified to ensure the fit is better at the rear edge.

So no problem.

Regarding payment, it will be necessary to pay the manufacturer of the wings (who will remain a closely guarded secret) by cheque at time of order. Delivery will also not be an option, and I will store the wings at my house for you to collect.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM site

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

I am right in saying that these are going to be the same as the current ones with wider ones available if required? I don't want any wider ones. Just want the same quality as I've got on the front at the other end too.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

It'll be EITHER std or wide which are made.

I'll take a vote when we have enough parties involved to make the deal work. (If you don't want wide, and that is what everyone else wants (unlikley), you can back out at that point)

If we get enough interest to do both types, then both types will be done.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM site

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

> The rear lamp support will make the tool much more complex and the price > will increase significantly.

Shame, suspected that would be the case though. What about a standalone carbon version of the rubber block? Is that feasible?

I saw one on a photo of a press car when the SLR was launched (many years ago...). But as I've not seen any since I suspect that was just carbon look sticky plastic applied to a standard one. I've cut away 90% of the block, just leaving the bare minimum to hold the light but it's still fairly nasty.

• 3 weeks later...