Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Knocking in Transmission tunnel following an enthusiastic Blat!

jskyrme

I have been enjoying the car today.. *smile*.probably a little too much and have ended the day with the expensive sound of knocking coming from inside the transmission tunnel when turning right... *mad*

Having limped the car home I jacked the car up and could see (what I think is called the propshaft?) which seems to have shifted over to one side of the tunnel and be the cause of the knocking. *mad*

Is there an easy fix I'm missing or is this a garage job...?

Many Thanks...

• Support Team

Check both engine mounts first - they could simply be loose or they could be broken. If both engine mounts are solid then it could be the gearbox mount - again could just be loose. To check the gearbox mount you'll have to get underneath the car.

You should be able to get a finger in betwen the gear box and the nearest chassis rail on both sides - if it is close or touching on one side then the engine or gearbox has moved on it's mounts.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

After doing a clutch change I had exactly the same problem. Checked all of the above and finally narrowed it down to the tunnel sides being slightly caved-in after lots of poking around in there during the clutch work.

Bit of leverage using a two foot breaker bar sorted it. *wink*

Get that bowser out of here! We'll go with what we've got!

Checked Bolts on Propshaft to Diff (you were quite right, they were blue *smile*) and they seemed fine...

Engine mounts also ok (they have recently been done.... *smile*...checked gearbox mount (two bolts only?) and loosened them off and found I could man handle gearbox away from transmission tunnel just enough...could see any any other mounts....hopefully this has done the trick... *thumbup*

Thanks very much for help guys...look forward to testing tomorrow if not raining too much 😬