Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Using VVC Head

Milesk

You will have seen my question yesterday of converting my 1.4ss to a 1.8.

I was to junk the VVC side of the engine,

However I am now concerned adapting the VVC head will be too costly? and complicated, and secondly possibly out of my abilities? Oily has been very helpful and confirmed what I need to do.

Where can I find a special VVC type inlet cam - are my ss cams now US??

I see a VVC blanking kit is £95 no problems there

I need to modify the back of the VVC head to accomodate a distributor cap, do you know of someone to do this and is it expensive?

I appreciate the VVC head has greater tune potential and once ported is probably the best head to have - Right?

Or would I just be better selling the head and getting a conventional 1,8 head??

Appreciate the comments

Thanks

Miles

• Support Team

Oily can normally provide you with the VVC blanking kit and cams to suit - they are both made by Piper so could be sourced direct from them. He can also modify your head for you but if you are happy drilling and tapping the engine block then you could do it yourself.

You are right about the VVC head being a better starting point - my 226bhp engine uses one which was ported by oily but uses the standard valve sizes.

If funds are tight or you want to do this in stages, hang onto the VVC head for the future and swap your existing head to the new engine.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

• Leadership Team

If you want to use the VVC head you're going to need an Emerald (or similar) unless you use the complete VVC install, cams, Mems etc. If at this stage you want to stick to your 1400 Mems you need to use a K16 head.

An option for the future is VVC head, SS level cams & Emerald. Or, use a K16 with TBs & Emerald.

Any attempt to use the VVC head with hotter cams, TBs, Emerald, etc is going to result in a need for forged pistons (due to considerably more bhp) so you're getting involved in a much more serious swap.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Edited by - sforshaw on 28 Nov 2009 19:37:23