Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 build queries

R500 CYA

Help, I'm trying to put the engine in today, but things aren't going as smoothly as anticipated (as if they ever do!!)

The car is fitted with a dry sump, however the build booklet does not make clear what part is fitted over the clutch fork where it passes through the belltank housing.

I presume some sort of gaiter should be fitted, however I do not seem to be able to find any appropriate part.

Secondly. Having constructed half of the drive mechanism for the speedometer in the tail of the six speed gearbox, I'm uncertain whether this is actually needed with the Stack instrumentation.

Should this just be blanked off?

I don't seem to have any instructions for the Stack system. Should a booklet be included? I don't even know what all the buttons do!!

Cheers!

The speedo. sensor fits on the front offside hub and is wired direct into the Stack system. I don't remember ever getting any "normal" speedo drive bits in my kit.

Unless Caterham have changed the wiring, the instructions (which Caterham should have sent you!)refer to buttons 1-5 HOWEVER, the first button is 0, the second is 1 the third is 2 the fourth is 4 the fifth is 3;- all counted from thew left.

Jules.

Pinky, having gone through your experience in June this year I know how you must be....I agree with Dave J on the clutch i.e. no gaiter. The redundant speedo drive can be fitted to the gearbox ( you know you have to guess as we had no instructions from Stack or Caterham )this is not connected to anything !

There is a black wire with a sensor on it...this is the speedo drive !fit that as Jules says and plug into the back of the dashboard unit et voila !!! Good luck you must be nearly there now Cheers John

Thanks guys!

We opted for Anna's advice, it's amazing how much better life looks through beer goggles!

Greg, thanks for the offer, I'll speak to the car owner, (unfortunately it's not mine) and get back to you.

Meantime, hurry up the weekend, so we can have another go!

Pinky