Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

supercharge experiences and X330

Hanns Per

I don't think the X330 was a great drive but that was probably partly due to insufficient development time for a decent map and sorting out other issues. I seem to recall the engine was built by Peter at Raceline in a bit of a hurry just before the Brighton speed trials of that year. I don't think it covered itself in glory either from what I remember.

As Brent says Hans, Raceline were involved in the engine design/install for Caterham who (from what I understand) had quite a tight deadline for the anniversary at the time. As such, it reportedly had a few areas for improvement.

Give Peter at Raceline a ring if you want either information on the X330 or want to investigate the forced induction route. He'll be able to tell you what was done and what will be done differently the next time around, he could probably put you in touch with those who have driven it too, although I'd be suprised if he hadn't.

I know there's been some development in this area in tandem with Mountune (who do the WRC Fords) and that there are several people now at different stages of putting in forced-induction Duratecs into sevens.

Bear in mind that the x330 was supercharged rather than turbocharged. I've got a feeling the lag and heat from even a small turbo are bettered by the supercharger when it comes to installation in a seven, which is why the Rotrex unit was chosen for the x330

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Edited by - k80rum on 23 Nov 2009 19:25:00

talked to our Caterham rep in Austria he offers a

.]kompressor kit

based on the Duratec 2,3 - 200 wich has lower compression than the 260.

He mentioned the 330 was based on the higher compression 260 engine.

I understand that higher compression is counterproductive for any kind of loading.

It looks interesting since it seems one could achieve slightly more than with even the best normal aspirated tuned engines.

Rgd

Hanns Per

my CSR 200 with Cosworth roller barrell

blatting the alps in a CSR 200 now 220