Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Engine Mods

ChrisH

I have had this machine for about 4 months and now want some more BHP. Its got twin 45,s and Alpha 3D system. Cost is a factor and I cant do the mods myself. So two questions really 1. What bits to buy. 2. Who do I get to fit them. Also need a new gearbox but thats another story.

OIL 7540 *cool* 2L ZETEC

I assume your engine is 2 litre. I would fit Kent FZ2002 cams, vernier timing pulleys. Head porting and skimming if not already done. Rolling road tune to optimise cam timing and fuelling.

AMMO

Edited by - Ammo on 6 Aug 2002 07:52:41

Hunoz? 20 bhp? Depends what the engine is doing now and what exactly you have done to it. Might be good to go to a rolling road soon to find out what it's putting out at the moment. Then you can compare later on once you have done the work.

AMMO

You can do without vernier timing pulleys (which seem to be about £130) because the standard pulley allows free adjustment, it just takes longer. A porting job seems well worth while, assuming it hasn't been done yet. What's you current power band?

98,000 miles so far

What Oliver says is correct. You can set the timing very accurately using the stock pulleys. What the adjustable pulleys allow you to do is optimise the cam timing at the dyno very quickly. Although possible with the stock setup, it would be very time consuming and expensive as you would probably pay for the dyno time wether the engine is running or not.

Forgot to say that if you go for the cams it is worthwhile going for the Kent springs as well as some stock Zetec springs are not compatible with the higher lifts. Some are intended for only 7.5 mm lift and can't be expected to cope with lifts in the region of 11 mm.

ARP rod bolts are also a good idea.

AMMO