Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Appollo with DS?

Team Escargot

The problem the Apollo tank solves is fixed inherently by the dry sump system. If you run the dry sump with a sealed crank case (I have a well documented dislike of this practice), there is a marginal reduction in effectiveness of scavenging in the dry sump system which in extremis can lead to oil delivery problems.

When I built my 250bhp K-series in 2000, I first ran it with DS and Apollo. This was when R500s were renowned for blowing up on track. My engine had alterations to the through bolts, resulting in reduced oil drainage and indeed I saw problems with scavenging leading to an empty dry sump tank and all the oil sitting uselessly in the engine. I was testing at Snetterton specifically to investigate this and I fitted the Apollo to minimise the harmful effects of an oil delivery failure. The problem came in at 7900rpm which was a problem with an engine that revved to over 9000. Just opening up a breather on the cylinder head made the problem go away and the only oil problems I have suffered since have been self inflicted.