Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel Pump, electric, Facet type, under bonnet.

Dee Pee

The guy who services my 7, says that a Facet electric fuel pump of the correct size, mounted under the bonnet, will easily replace the mechanical fuel pump on my 140 BHP crossflow. The wiring would of course be a lot easier than if rear mounted, as would the plumbing of the fuel supply line. Aldon, whom I live near could provide the full kit.

Has anyone used this system or similar and encountered any problems, before I rush off on a winter project? I'm relatively competent to do the job!!!

Help would be appreciated.

Will there be enough room under the bonnet for the pump and pressure regulator? with the pipe work ? Sounds a little tight to me, especially if you want to go to Megajolt in the future as you need the space for the EDIS and coil pack.

The rear mounted pump should be easy to wire up, a cable down the prop tunnel (dual core trailer wire with sheath should do). Put the pump supply switch somewhere discrete for a little extra security.

Jon

Agree with JBL - site the pump on the rear panel, behind passenger seat, and obviously facing towards the tank. If mounted on two rubber bobbins then you get little/no vibration noise. Single core wire is enough if you use a red-top pump - as these earth via the mountings.

I would advise fitting an inertia switch to isolate the pump in event of an accident> You can get these from a decent scrapyard from a rover 214/216 etc - they are hidden behind the lower radio panel IIRC. Don't forget to take the plug and a few inches of wire aswell as the interia switch. (cost ~£5 last time I got one (or two)). Combine the inertia switch + relay + seperate fuse and mount it on the bulkhead forward of the gear-lever.

A swift knock of the switch as you leave the car will act as another means of theft deterrent

I would also get the FilterKing - pressure regulator and filter - these can be mounted on the front of the drivers side footwell quite easily (I have one + coil mounted on mine with no problems).

Dave

You need to check that the Facet will work properly in the engine bay. Most of these pumps are push rather than suck. In other words the pump needs to be mounted close to the tank.

Also have a look at a Carter rotary pump: here. According to the blurb you don't need a pressure regulator.

Can either import from USA or here.

I have a facet electric pump on my crossflow but is is mounted close to the tank. I have a cut out switch and separate fuse and have also wired it into the antitheft system. I liked the idea that if a carb fire ever occurred you could switch off the pump keep blatting and keep the engine running until the fuel in the carbs was all gone.

It also nice for starting as if the car is stood for a while the engine cranking required is a lot less as the carbs can be fully primed with fuel B4 cranking the engine commences

Bob R

Run a silver top Facet pump mounted above the transmission tunnel in the engine bay. I have a compact heater so there's space. Feeds my 1700 Super Sprint via a Filter King regulator, and has done for over 3 years now without missing a beat. As the fuel pipe leaves the tunnel, it connects to a filter and then straight into the pump. The pump is individually fused and I have a battery master switch in the cockpit to kill th power should there be a problem. All accessible, all stays clean and works fine. The fact that pipes are ss short on a Seven means there is more than enough power in the pump to push or pull. Thoroughly recommended!!

Series 1 Supersprint