Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Novice Questions

Andrew_H

Novice questions,

Had the Caterham for just over a year now and would like to investigate the possibility of participation in the Club Speed Championship 2010. I have looked at the current regulations and it looks like my car would fit into Class 4 - Duratec Engine, starter kit build with a current output of 188BHP. My questions are:

I have a rolling road print out from when the ECU was mapped is this adequate? As my car is not a Caterham R300/R400 etc with the output provable via the year of build etc..

Does it make any difference what class you start in i.e more novices in class 1 and more experience people in the higher classes making it hard for a novice not to finish last every time in Class 4?

If you have done a season in the Club Speed Championship does this make you no longer eligible for the academy Championship in the future?

Looking at past novice questions an introduction to sprinting was held in 2007 any plans to repeat this 2010?

Thanks in advance for any response to the above.

Andrew

Build Pics so far http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/RutlandHarry

Hi Andrew I will try and answer your questions

Class 4- yep sounds about right, no need for a plot at this stage apparently we are all gentlement and will take your word on it. However if you have more bhp than claimed it would likely show up in speed trap numbers and then you may be quizzed a little.

What class for a novice - well in theory it shouldn't as your score is based upon the fastest time in your class, however the last 2 years novice champion has come from class1.

Caterham Acadamey? - not 100% sure of the rule but ISTR that for that you had to have had no motorsport expereince to sign up so doin g any sprint/hillclimb would invalidate that. However I could be totally wrong on that.

Intro to sprinting - I think something might be in the works and am sure someone will be along soon to confirm or deny that

Rob

• Area Representative

Hi Andrew,

Class 1 has had the Novice champion for 4 x from the last five years 😬

To see the way the novices have been spread amongst the classes, the championship final scores (for the Novices) are here

Cheers

Nick

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

*arrowup* That's interesting as I thought that once you hade held an MSA car licence that would count you out of the academy.

Mind you, one of our local memebers that has done the Academy this year mentioned that quite a few of the top places went to those who had previously held MSA race licences for Karts. IMHO a far greater advantage than having just been sprinting.

I'd be keen to know the definitive answer.

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

Hi Andrew,

I started as a novice in Class 4. It might have been easier to start in a smaller engined car, but like you, that was what we had. I was last in class on a regular basis but under the championship rules it is points that count not position in Class. My other half came second in the Novices championship last year in a Class 4 car and Stuart Miller was very competitive as a novice this year in a Class 4 car (just did not do a full season). So do not be put off.

We got hooked after doing the introduction to sprinting day, it is planned to run the day again this year, and you must come and bring your car along. Hope to see you there. Lynn

What's the typical BHP in class 3, I know the limit is 160BHP but I recon i'm only down around the 135 BHP mark and a little underpowered, My thoughts where those with the higher rating's would probably go for the class 3 rather than class 2 so i might stand a better chance... *rolleyes*

Q469 WET 1990 Caterham 1690 Crossflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits.CaterBram on Facebook

Xflows are welcome in class 2 as well. I moved "down" from 3 to 2 last year,

in a futile bid to win fame, fortune and silverware, but found there were still

far too many quicker drivers ahead of me. Theres always next year...

At least in class 2 you don't have to invest in Carlos Fandango super wide wheels

to fit the latest Ultra-Soft-Kumhos that everyone else in class 3 seems to run on *tongue*

A 135 BHP Xflow can be highly competitive in class 2 or 3 IMHO. Biggest factor, above BHP/Torque/weight/tyres/dampers/carbon is still driver ability. Dammit.

AB

Edited by - Alan Bowler on 4 Nov 2009 18:28:10

At least in class 2 you don't have to invest in Carlos Fandango super wide wheels to fit the latest Ultra-Soft-Kumhos that everyone else in class 3 seems to run on

So that's where I'm going wrong, 6" wheels and ONLY soft Kumhos 😳, but then being new to the game and having a Dagenham boat anchor (140bhp) up front hardly helps either 😬.

But, hey, I did have barrow loads of fun *thumbup*

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

Hi Mat, Yup it's me Chris,

She's a live Axle with a LSD, she normally runs on AO21's for the road but was looking at using A539's and running as a Class 2,

She has done several event's on previous L7C's at Harewood and Curborough as a Class 3, Started life as a 1600 but has been bored out, originally we thought by 60 Thou which would have slipped me into class 1 but after a recent failure of a valve seat it's come out as 90 Thou over size.

Also I owe you a big thankyou for planting the seed at Harewood, as before that i'd kept away from throughts of indulging, 😶‍🌫️

Q469 WET 1990 Caterham 1690 Crossflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits.CaterBram on Facebook

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 4 Nov 2009 21:05:42

Andrew

I ran class 4 this year as that's what my car fitted into. Thought I'd do one or two events but was hooked after event one at Goodwood. The only mods' I did were to fit Kumho tyres and just before the final event, change the ECU so I was running 190 (or a fraction under) BHP not the 171 it roaded at with the original.

I wasn't sure how I'd get on but after the first two events decided my goal was to be quicker than the quickest class 3 cars. There is some pretty impressive talent in all the classes and guys (and girls) who've been doing it a long time so I don't think it matters too much what class you start in - you're probably not going to be at the top of it.

After doing seven events this year, for me, it is more about the driving and the people you are with than the result on the board. Don't get me wrong - it's even better when the result is a very low number!

I spent eight years thinking about doing some sprinting / hillclimbing and finally got round to it, so just fill out the form, post it and enter the first event.

Regards, Stuart

Thanks for all the feedback on the original post.

I guess I need to speak to Caterham for the official view on the Academy entrance after taking part in sprinting. And I will be keeping an eye out for the introduction to sprinting day next year, with a little bit of luck I could be taking part in some sprinting next year.

Thanks Andrew

(Sounds like I need to start my research into Tyres, and get practising my starts off every set of traffic lights like I was 17 again)