Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiper delay

patneale

As the self-parking is done in the motor, I am thinking of an extra spring-loaded flick switch to provide a momentary 12V on to the output of the standard wiper switch, to provide one sweep of the wipers. Easier than turning the std switch on and off. Intermittent wipe is invariably too quick or too slow for the conditions.

My friend is making one, and should have a prototype intermittent ready tonight... 😬 With fancy red variable resistor. All I need are a few connectors for the switch now... Time will tell if it's any good. The unit delays the wipe rather than changing the speed of the wipe IYSWIM, and the time between wipes will be variable (in theory!).

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

• Area Representative

CageyH

Your car must be an earlier model with the delay. They dropped this on later cars (post 2002 I think).

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Many thanks for information.

I had a flick switch and a diagram from Caterham, but for some reason and Caterham didn't know why it kept blowing the fuse for wiper after a few goes. ( Even when higher rated fuse was used.) Had fuse trouble on brake lights, but higher rated fuse cured it.

Having had the wiper drive fail in Grenoble after 2007 St Moritz trip and an unpleasant trip in rain wiperless to UK, I now use wipers sparingly. Very sharp angle from motor to windscreen which causes failure on higher mileage models ( 40,000 miles since 2003) due to excessive bending over very small area.

Will get another flick switch and try again.

HUgh Robinson