Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting an Alpha shift light

No Nuts

Easy thought I, it comes with instructions doesn't it? Er, well I've still got questions to ask!

I'm running Rover K EU3 (distributorless wasted spark) still with MEMS but will go to Emerald in due course. Has anyone else out there fitted one to such a set up?

There is an option to connect the "signal" (green) wire on the shift light to an "Alpha Engine Management system tachometer output". Is this exactly what it means or could I connect it to any EMS tacho output? I mean, surely you don't have to use a particular type of tacho if you run an Alpha EMS? This would be easier as it means I can keep all of the wiring in the cockpit.

Is this feasible or am I going to have to take off from one of the coil feeds? I don't want to blow the thing up!

TIA

Guy

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

Thanks Dave. I assume you are not running Weber Alpha ECU or anything?

I couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to do this but...

So when you set the jumpers inside did you set them to the Weber Alpha tacho settings or just leave them as standard?

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

Edited by - No Nuts on 3 Aug 2002 21:09:08

I'm running an Emerald on dizzyless , my tacho is driven from the ecu though .

Your tacho regardless of from where it recieves its signal should still have the 3 wires on the rear : earth , +ve and signal , for the shift light .

I was confused by this too , untll Rob explained to me .

I dont know what you mean by the "jumpers inside " , the 1/2 setting inside the shift ligt box is used to set the shift light illumination using 1/2 revs

i.e shift lights at actual 9600 = 4800rpm whn setting up .

You shouldnt have to wear a jumper this timeof year anyway - and you certainly wouldnt fit it inside unless my wife had washed it *wink*

Dave