Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Long ratio 1st Gear Qaife Gearbox

CaterBram

Well yes the longest is 2.04 as it can be a pain in traffic without looking it up think the standard Sierra box is 3.36 🤔 or similar as Phil said great for a heavy car and a caravan

My box is square cut and I have a 2.2 with a 3.96 diff and that works well for my BHP and rev limit in fact should for most plus choosing square cut is a matter of choice but better if you doing sprints and track

Still you need to look at the hole rage of the 5 gears play with a gear ratio program and think of the top speeds as a bit of fantasy as they ignore road losses and overcoming air resistance. Arnie has one on his site and Quaife have another one play with both

What’s important is limiting the rev drop between gears for an equal speed and you can use those theoretical speed to see that drop

Quaife offer 2.04, 2.2 and 2.39 that’s from memory as the Quaife site is not so user friendly these days.

If you buy a close ratio set then also buy a quick shift lever its massively better plus have a drain plug fitted and think about either an ally lid on the old case or an ally box

The heavy duty 5 speed is the better on

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

An alternative and greater selection of straight cut gear ratios:

Tran X type 9 ratio options

Speak to Dan over there *thumbup*

And if you want a close 1st to 4th and a long motorway .82 5th they can usually do that too.

Too young to be old !

Edited by - 7 wonders of the world on 5 Nov 2009 08:03:52

Edited by - 7 wonders of the world on 5 Nov 2009 08:16:42

Strictly speaking, according to the Blue Book (i81), if you're competing in MSA road going classes you have to retain the original gearbox casing material. Changing to an ali box would not comply. If the car was supplied with a 6 speed ally box from new then this would be okay. I'm pretty sure a change of top plate would comply with the spirit of the regs.

I doubt very much that anyone would care or notice but you do occasionally get the odd competitor who looks at compliance issues, especially if they're lying second!

The longest Quaife 1st can get you up to over 60mph, depending on final drive ratio but, as has been said, it can be tiring in traffic and you end up slipping the clutch quite a lot.

Paul