Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R500 Standard plug leads: copper or silicon? an EMI query

anthony1956

and if copper is there any reason why I shouldn't use silicon?

I want to reduce electromagnetic interference to my mic.

I gather also a capacitor across the alternator (by a sparky) will help that bit too.

and wrap the ecu in tin foil?

EDIT: example of the noise in video here

Anthony

Conducted Interference: These interference signals move from one point to another on the power supply leads between a source and a receptor. Two possible sources of these signals are (1) the circuits within the device and (2) radiated energy induced onto the wires of the device.

Radiated Interference: These interference signals are transferred via an electromagnetic (EM) field produced by a signal source over a propagation path through the air. The source of these signals can be external (e.g., radio and TV stations) or internal (e.g., unshielded radio frequency (RF) circuits and switching power supplies) to an electronic system.

Edited by - anthonym on 30 Oct 2009 23:29:49

Magnecore - where to buy? Swiss mail order for R500 would be nice *confused*. ..... Ok, anywhere nearer than than USA? :-)

interesting web site http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

UK Dist http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

Magnecor Europe Limited

Unit 12, Jubilee Business Park

Snarestone Road

Appleby Magna

Derbyshire, DE12 7AJ

England

Telephone: +44 (0) 1530 274 975

Fax: +44 (0) 1530 274 624

E-mail: info@magnecor.co.uk

WWW: http://www.magnecor.co.uk

edit to answerr my question.

Edited by - anthonym on 31 Oct 2009 09:05:25

and the choices are:

S2 8MM Blue £28.69 inc vat

S2 8.55MM Red +£2

1.8 Standard 8mm Blue +£26

1.8 Standard 8.5mm Red KV85 +£35 THIS ONE?

340R & Exige 8mm Blue +£30

340R & Exige 8.5mm Red KV85 +£37

111S VVC 8MM Blue +£31

111S VVC 8.5mm Red KV85 +£45

111S VVC Special +£50

As to coil packs or dizzy I didn't know there was a choice (time moves on it seems), I believe I have a dizzy since I can see it (the cap anyway) - I don't know what a coil pack is (watch this space of course)

I am assuming here that the Elises are K series (thanks Unclefester for that little guided tour cpuple of months back :-) )

lost again... should stick to calculators 😶‍🌫️

As long as they are EU2.... Which I think they are (coil lead pictured).

If Magnecore ever send me my Custom leads - I will have a spare set of KV85 EU2 leads available. First set got lost in the post after they were posted in July (Insured delivery). In discussion with Magnecore but still waiting for a set of leads to arrive.... 😔

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Anthony, all early R500's retained the dizzy and used standard leads in line with all other K series cars from CC.

Either the 8mm Blue or 8.5mm Red will do the job, the 8.5mm give better heat resistance but that shouldn't be an issue for you. The 8mm leads are a better fit in the rubber cable guides under the plg cover but you can still get the 8.5's to fit. I can't comment on which set to have as I had a custom set made.

Adrian

Hi Anthony *wavey*

Yes, 'twas a fun afternoons blatting in the lovely Limousin, though I doubt the dog would agree.

Elises up to about 2002 use the K engine, mostly in EU2 form, ie with a distributor, on the S1, though the S2s seem to be EU3 till they went over to the Toyota engine.

The EU3 has the coil packs and no distributor.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

• 2 weeks later...

Update from my post *arrowup* there.

Magnecore have sent me a replacement set of leads. *biggrin*

I just have to go back to the UK to pick them up.

I am now trying to get the proof of delivery from the French post office (to help Magnecore) but I have now been informed that they were delivered on the 18th July and 15th October. Clever that. Same set of leads delivered twice.

Anybody know how you are upposed to be able to get money back on insured international deliveries, when there is no proof of delivery available?

Roal mail seem reluctant to honour the insurance claim.