Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD

Steve T

I want to fit a quaffe ATB over winter, whats the best way ?

1) Where is best place to buy, Quaife, CC or somewhere else ?

2) Is it best/cheaper to buy just the LSD innards or the whole Sierra Diff case with ATB fitted ? and swap the whole thing ?

3) If i buy just the LSD, obviously i have to remove the old diff, can I fit the new LSD myself (is it simple ?) or should I get someone to do it and how much would that be approx ? (R&R poss ?)

4) Do i need to change anything else or is it just a straight swap ?

PS I am choosing the ATB option as I understand it to be the least aggressive and most drivable option for dry/wet mainly road use - am i correct inmy judgment ?

thanks for your advice

Steve

Now with DVA Power! 191bhp and 150.9 lbft torque.

My Pictures

Hi Steve -

1 - Road and Race Transmissions

2 - Just innards, they'll swap it over for you

3 - Yes you can DIY, a bit of a fiddle, take 3 hours or so

4 - just a straight swap

Can't answer your question specifically (Phil at R&RT will be able to) but I recently went for a Titan - very pleased.

If you don't build the car and want an indication of how to go about swapping a diff on your own, have a dig on my site in the maintenance section under 'prop-change'. I didn't swap to a LSD, but it was the first major piece of work I did on my own - and with no other experience other than an oil change at that point.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I have just bought an ATB to fit into an Ital axle, direct from Quaife having checked the price with a number of party suppliers. No-one was offering a deal. To be fair I believe Quaifes pricing structure is very close to trade prices to dealers.

Quaife are a real treat to deal with, polite, efficient and professional.

The diff arrived within 30 hours of confirming the order and I live on Guernsey so there is a sea journey involved.

I would go direct to Quaife everyday and twice on Sunday!

The only issue with the ATB is that it doesn't supply drive if one wheel comes off the road. Apart from that it is all plusses with this type of diff.

Just my opinion.

Good luck whichever way you go.

People have said the Titan is too aggressive for road use, esp in the wet where it apparently breaks away if too much right foot is applied, and the Quaiffe is more progressive which to be honest sounds a better oprion unless you are regularly sprinting etc. ( i dont want any scary moments on the road thank you)

Also, i understand it will apply a max of 80% drive to the loaded wheel, thus allowing 20% on the unloaded wheel which is why it still spins but 'most' of the power goes to where you want it.

Myles, I did bild my car and put the diff in single handed which TBH I did quite easily, just wondered how much of a rear end strip down is needed to change the diff only.

So is it cheaper to buy complete diff with new casing from Q and DIY change - or buy innards from Q and get R&R to rebuild it ?

Malcolm, I am sure the Titan is better for hillclimbs etc but I will prob do a trackday 1 or 2 times per year so if the ATB is better on the road, it makes sense for me to go that way, anyone disagree ?

One last thing - (not that I would be so childish as to try, but just for the record, will the Quaiffe allow good donuts ?, better than the open diff - just a theoretical question of course you understand in case anyone asks me 😬)

Steve

My Pictures

Steve -

I fitted a Quaiffe ATB to mine last winter. Bought it from R&R *thumbup* so i can't comment on the relative prices from different suppliers.

Fitting it was relatively easily and required much less of a complete rear end strip down than I had feared thanks to the excellent instructions provided by Brent. Do a search on Tech Talk and you'll find them.

I'm delighted with it. It's much quieter than the standard diff - and yes - you can do good donuts.

Hi Steve- i have a Quaife ATB diff for sale with approx 1500 miles use from new. Changed to a Titan last year out of preference. Want about £550 plus any carriage costs. Tel. no is 07714676422.

Richard

Sussex Swede R400

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My penny's worth....

I had an open diff 3.38 on my csr260 - fine on road, poor on track

Changed to a Titan - fantastic on a dry track (not so good in the wet) - somewhat "lively" on the road, particularly in the wet.

So I woull say (a) leave the open diff but if you really want an LSD (b) not a Titan!

Cheers

Dean

G7 CSR

Dean,

Thanks for the update and comments.

As it happens, I havent done this project yet, but over the last month was leaning towards the Titan after speaking with Phil (R&R) but it really does seem to be that the Titan is much prefered for sprints and hillclimbs where keeping power on the wheel that is in contact with the ground (assuming one wheel is off/light) is more critical to performance than fast (sorry - steady) road use, where the ATB seems to score more plus points.

Many comments seem to show a need to be extra carefull on slippery roads with the Titan so maybe I am swinging back to the Quaiffe again *confused* *confused* *confused*

Steve

My Pictures

Hi Steve. I was much like you, when it came to making up my mind. *confused* I would swing between Titan plate diff, and Quaife ATB diff.

Ask 10 people, and you'll get 10 different opinions.

The thing that made my mind up was a convesation with Richard Lee (Bless him ☹️) , as we where talking about our ridiculously overpowered Seven projects.

He'd had a conversation with Russell Savory, I believe, and Russell was fitting the Quaife diffs into the Levante. A customer had specified a Titan diff, but when Russell tried it out in the car, the car was uncontrolable when the plate diff locked up completely. Apparently, he drove the car back, and swapped it straight back to a Quaife.

What is fact, is, a Quaife ATB doesn't like kerb hopping.

It is gentler, and wont lock as aggressively as a plate type diff.

If my car was a track/hilclimb/sprint/competition/had less power car, I'd have gone for the Titan.

As it'll be 99.9% road use, I chose the Quaife. I must add, Quaife where a pleasure to deal with. *thumbup*

People from the Titan camp have said to me, I'm happy spinning what power I have away with the Quaife. *confused* All I can say to that is, I intend to set the car up correctly, and I have control over my right foot. *wink*

Having owned lots of very quick motorcycles over the years, I'm no stranger to high power to weight ratio's. *cool*

JMHO of course. *smile*

Edited to add, the complete unit, in a brand new "Ford" case was £1,271.84p of which £62 + vat was delivery to here. (Compare that to the price of an open diff from CC *eek*)

Edited by - Mickrick on 18 Dec 2009 08:16:22

The Titan like the Tran X LSD I use can be specified with a variety of ramp angle and a couple of preload options so it dosen't have to be full on trackspec you could specify 45 degree ramps and 5lb preload to make it much more progressive yet still benefiting from the full lock characteristic of a plate unit.

Too young to be old !