Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Running In..

Maccers

Not a Caterham, but a motorbike...Anyone got any advice on this? I will hopefully be getting a Suzuki SV650 (v-twin , 4 stroke) and was going to take a trip to Dublin, should be 700 miles round trip, most motorway - is that good for a new engine??

RM.

Motorway No. Its exactly what you don`t want. Running in requires varing revs/loads,low revs and gentle application of throttle in the first 100 then start using slightly more revs and throttle up to 500 miles change the oil then continue the process increasing the revs and load gradually without labouring the engine. Constant revs and load could such as motorway driving could glaze up the bores and prevent the engine ever bedding in properly. Having said all this modern bike engines and the like have their bores finished to a very high standard and the running in required should minamal.

Rob is quite correct, vary speed and load without holding a steady state.

There is of course the motorcyclists way of looking at things - thrash the tits of it from the word go! Not my recommendation I might add, but I would say it is far more important to 'run' yourself into the bike and give the brakes and suspension time to bed. The transmission and engine will look after themselves.

Enjoy.

Steve B

Edited by - sjwb on 3 Aug 2002 21:38:24