Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Wings and Wide Wheels

Dave Wilson

I'm looking to fit some 9" CXR rims with an ET12 offset to enable 235/13" tyres to be fitted. Seemed like a reasonable plan, but I need to "extend" rear wings by about 50mm to cover now exposed tyre. Can you buy wider wings or is a case of getting out the fibre glass kit?

Cheers

Dave

• Area Representative

Dave,

Andy Griffiths has been using a pair of the Redline wider wings to cover his 10" MB's.

I seem to recall that they were comparitively cheap.

His MB's with 6" inners, and 4" outers, will have almost exactly the same backspace as your proposed 9" CXR's.

Are you sure that you'll need wider wings at all? They'll only protrude 1/2" more than the standard MB 8.5" wheels. With wider wings, its likely that you could also fit wheel spacers.

Edited by - Richard Price on 30 Oct 2009 09:13:25

• Area Representative

Dave J,

From reading Compomotives web site, I'd guess that when they specify a wheel as ET12, or ET0, then, using their info as a guide, ET12 would be more inset, and ET0 would be more outset, so ET0 would put MORE load on the wheel bearings, not less.

load is imparted onto the bearing in either way - offset or inset, the ET0 will place the flange of the hub in the center of the rim, given the opportunity I would go for a zero, thats all I meant.

The CXR's are also a bit tricky in that they have a lip on the outer rim that adds circa 6mm to the actual offset, but doesnt feature in the position of the actual tyre as the bead is a separate from the edge of the rim - it that makes sense.....

dj

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

Edited by - Dave J on 30 Oct 2009 13:40:01

• Area Representative

Dave J,

The key issue is not where the flange is, but where the centre between the two bearings is. At a guess, I'd say that the centre of the bearings is some 50mm inboard of the flange.

If that is the case, then wheels with ET50 would impart the least load on the bearings.