Click here if you are having website access problems ×

dry sump blue plate loctite 5926

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

i have a tube of the above. can i use this to seal the blue plate on the dry sump tank? its described as an instant gasket thats suitable for engine fluids, sump pans etc- or should i find some 574 that others have suggested

rog

5926 appears to be an rtv silicone. It cures to a rubbery consistency so that if any should become dislodged and enter the oil system it could block a vital oilway. 574 ony cures in the absence of air so in theory any squeezed out from the joint will wash away without causing problems.

Having said that, I have used rtv silicone on sump plates etc and never suffered a problem (yet !). To confuse matters further I have used 574 and found solidified sealant stringing off pulleys on disassembly !

I would use 574 (or be very carefull about the quantity and placement if I used 5926)

• Leadership Team

thanks Roger. Trying to track down 574 has proven difficult thus far *mad* After posting I contacted Loctite's technical helpline who confirmed your comments albeit not so clearly. I'll order some 574 to be on the safe side *thumbup*

Rog

After using Loctite products for years I was advised by a top engine buider that the the best sealant he's ever used is Threebond 1215. I purchased some for a Twincam rebuild I was in the middle of..............not a weep *thumbup*

I've since found out that this stuff is used extensively in motorsport and the Subaru team used it on their gasketless sump and crankcase applications.

Cheers.

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo