Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Low-mileage R500

simonpa

After much deliberation, I've decided to sell my R500 as I don't use it enough (plus SWMBO really doesn't like it)...

It's my 5th Caterham and has long been on my 'must own one day' since the R500 was first mooted in the late 90s.

The car was built by Ratrace for Lars Bohinnen - a Noweigen international footballer, who bought it whist he was in the uk playing for Derby. He later took the car back with him to Norway, but returned it in 2004 as it was too cold to use it there. It had only done 2000 miles when the second owner bought it in march 2004.

I bought it earlier this year at 7500 miles and have used it on the road since.

The car has now done just under 8100 miles.

The engine is in great condition, having had a new crank at 4000 miles and a refresh at 6500 (including new shells).

My original intention was to put a screen and weather-gear on it, but as an original ultra-lightweight spec car, I feel this would be a retrograde move...

I've thus decided to sell it and put the money towards building a quick 'touring' Caterham, so may consider a suitable car in part-exchange.

Whilst the car and chassis are mechanically excellent, the bodywork has a few dings in it and the carbon nose has a crack in it where a wheel was dropped on it 😔

It has also very little written history, partly as Ratrace (who maintained it for Lars and the subsequent owner) have changed their systems and all documentation is in storage, and partly as the subsequent owner never kept any paperwork.

I will explain this to anyone interested in the car separately.

It's for the above reasons that I am selling the car for under £20k, rather than the £24k+ that an R500 of this mileage would be expected to go for.

The advert is here - Caterham R500

Feel free to BM me with any questions, or my email and mobile are on the ad.

I'm in Fleet, Hampshire and can show the car most any time.

Cheers - Simon

No - but it has done some trackdays.

After the footballer, the next owner used it on the road and for some trackdays.

He then sold it to a business acquaintance who did the same. In the end he was only doing 4 days a year hardly any road time, so decided to sell it...

I bought it for road and some trackday use, but haven't had time to get onto the track at all. Initially, SWMBO was OK with the car as we would always be able to get our investment back, but as we've not been using as much as I'd hoped, it's time for it to go.

It doesn't help that I've had another Caterham sat in the garage waiting to be 'upgraded' as well... *rolleyes*

I'd have thought the market response is the best guide to value.

Surely if too cheap your phone would be red hot with potential buyers. If the phone is silent then perhaps not too cheap or perhaps market slow due to winter etc.

PH has an orange r500 up at 22k with an enclosed trailer included so doesn't seem far out to me. Caterham are asking 25.5 and 26 k for 2 that they have but I suspect they include at least a few grand profit and cost in those for caterham. Stratton are asking 23k I think for r500 duo.

Good luck with sale. You only need one buyer at the end of the day.

Will

I think your price is about right, any more any you have priced it out of the market.

Edit, oh - I see you have put the price up.

Here are my thoughts, please do not take offence just trying to be objective -

The bonnet stripe may be put some off ie Cost to get the bonnet and nose cone painted

Three things point to this car potentially being an ex race car - Large Master Cylinder, Cut Off Switch and Short passenger foo twell

Maybe an idea to mention in your ad that the car had never been raced

Hope this helps and not offends *biggrin*

Many thanks for all the comments, Gents.

I've adjusted the price back down to allow for the bodywork needed, which makes it the cheapest R500 I've seen on PH..

I don't know about the CC ones, but R500 DUO seems quite expensive for the mileage and the fact that it's spent most of those miles being thrashed within an inch of it's life by a hoard of road testers. I expect the engine has been refreshed, but there's a lot more that wears on an R500 than just the engine.

As Reg says (thanks Mr V!), the rest of the car is very tight and it handles as well as any Caterham I've driven (and I've driven a few on and off track) and better than most.

Cheers - Simon

• 2 weeks later...