Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Radiator leaks - is a repair viable ?

jradley

Hi,

Ever since I replaced hoses about a month ago I have been trying to track down a small coolant leak. I know the rad filler plug washer was weeping (easily dealt with) but I have now discovered that the rad itself is leaking too *mad* It's weeping from where the vertical vanes enter the bottom tank of the rad, on about 5 of them on the left hand side.

The rad is an all aluminium one (k seies) made by a company called PMA. They have suggested it can be fixed using some special kind of epoxy, which they will do for just the cost of carriage.

Do you know if repairs like this are reliable and worth it or should I seriously consider a replacement ? If this type of repair is comon, do you know of anywhere local to Reading that would do it perhaps cheaper than the carriage costs of sending it back to PMA ?

Cheers,

John

Within a month of getting my seven (new) the radiator was leaking with a similar fault to yours. As I lived in Sri Lanka at the time the factory had me send them photos and then agreed to ship me a new rad. By the time the new rad arrived I had had the old one fixed and it is still in the car today 9 years on. I cannot say how they repaired it, but I suspect they soldered it. Come what may the repair held.

Cheers Rupe

Click here p21 to see pics of my 7 on a Sri Lankan beach *cool*

I've yet to have a rad that hasn't leaked in our 7 - and thats CC versions, Radtec, and now my CC triple pass.... *mad* All around the point where the flat piping enters the side. One day I'll get round to trying to seal, and had always figured solder might do it? Silver solder?

Really annoys me that is should even get to that stage though - every time, IME.

Angus's Adventures in Sevenland

I cannot say for definite that it was silver solder, but I think so. They had solder there and tinning irons and separate flux that was painted on. They also had brazing equipment. However, I did not stay to watch my repair. The repair was so neat that I could not see what they had done. Also I don't speak the language, so could not ask them either.

So best guess is - yes Silver Solder.